1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live Moss

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by LolaGranola, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

I ordered some live moss and some other stuff from Vic's store. They love it and there is always 1 or 3 crabs up there sitting in it and eating it.

[img width=400 height=300]http://files.blog-city.com/files/M05/105076/p/f/livemoss.jpg[/img]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Great!! I'm glad they like it... Mine totally devour it and then kick off the dirt that's left over :tongue3:

3. Matt

Matt Guest

I need paypal darn it! I would have so much cool stuff from Vicki for my hermies.

Thats a cute E you got there.

4. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm wondering, how safe would it be to pick live moss off of trees or the ground in one's local area? Here in MD there are lots of forests and such and like this weekend I was walking through one and looking at all the moss growing all over the place and thinking, wow, I wouldn't have to buy any... I also am wondering if I were to be able to identify tree branches and trees, and as long as they aren't pine, would that be ok also? Would I have to do anything special to prepare it for the tank?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you were 100% sure no chemicals/pesticides could be on it, I don't see why not use the moss. The other thing is bugs. You might not know what's in there. And then see them in your tank. I hate bugs,so I know I wouldn't do it . :icon_biggrin: Some people don't mind, like Jedediah who keep bugs in the tank to keep it clean.

As for the wood, I'd soak in salt water and bake it.

6. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

How do you keep it alive in the tank? Just water it?

7. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

I mist it daily to keep it alive as long as possible but it won't live forever, a week or two at most. It's just a nice treat.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

You need to keep light on it, it's like any plant it needs light to live. I water mine daily few spritzes of dechlor. I've never had mine go bad, the crabs have eaten it all and left just the dirt. :dontknow:

9. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

well, mines got the 100 watt dayglo and it's starting to die, maybe it's too hot or something.

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

I dunno..Keries got alot of wattage going on in her tank. Hopefully she'll sneak in here and post :tongue3:

11. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

CrabbyChris, you also need to ensure that you are picking the right species of moss. Some of the lichen family is toxic. So Vicki, please post the binomial species name for the live moss that you sell, that way there is ultimately no OOPS's! The lichen related family of plants has well over 200 species!!

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

Ok, will do! I have to ask the place I get it from. There's nothing on the package.

13. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

oops...while I posted right away about naming the correct species of moss, I missed the light discussion...most mosses grow on the north side of the tree...that reference is to point out that most moss does not need too much light... I am only intimate with the habits of moss that live in my temperate zone, but I do not think I am generalizing over-much if I say that most moss would find the temps on the high side. Spanish moss which grows more commonly in humid and warm conditions is from the bromeliads family, which is not moss! It doesn't mind light, but Spanish moss is an epiphyte (air plant), which absorbs nutrients (especially calcium) and water from the air and rainfall. So NOT suitable for the crabitat!

14. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

okay, not to beat this to death or anything... in what I was reading as I wrote, niggled at me...I need to check out in greater detail a bit more on some of these bromeliads, and in fact there are a couple of plants I need to check on...so for now just go with Vicki's posted moss...I have something I need to check into. I will let you know in a couple of days...

15. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, to be safe I won't be picking any moss up and putting it in my tank. I knew about the pesticides and all, but not the other stuff RF is talking about. I'll make sure I buy it from someone (Vicki) that knows it's safe.

16. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Oh, here I am. LOL

Like any living plant in a crab tank, don't look for it to live very long. My horde of crablets tend to destroy a pack of live moss within a week. They pick the thing to little bits and then live in the dross they don't shove over the side into the water dish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.