1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live Mangrove Trees

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Kali_Ma, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I used Gardner's Tree Crab Food because it has mangrove sap in it, but after all the recent research on food additives and pet food horror stories, I'm getting rid of it, because it has meat and bone meal -- I'm going to write to Mr. Gardner and see if I can persuade him to switch to purer food sources, but in the meantime, I have no mangrove for my crabs.

I believe that mangrove is a good basis for crab diet, as it is ubiquitous in all tropical locations and crab habitats. It contains tannin for one thing, which is color enhancing, and according to Mr. Gardner it enhances good cuticle production.

I have found a source on line for live mangrove seedlings. These are intended for the aquarium/terrarium industry and can grow in the water basins, collecting nutrients while it helps to filter the water.

http://www.floridaplants.com/Mangroves/Default.htm

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">The Red Mangrove utilizes an internal salt pump to exclude salt ions. This is the means by which the plant survives the saline environment. The "pump" is a cellular process whereby the element magnesium (Mg) is taken into the plant's cells, forcing out sodium (Na) ions. Therefore, growing Red Mangrove in a closed system such as an aquarium requires close monitoring of the magnesium balance as the plants will remove not only the nitrogen wastes in the water, but magnesium as well. When magnesium is depleted in a tank, the plants will turn yellow or exhibit other signs of salt stress, including shrivelling.

We specialize in Red American Mangrove in tree cones and gallon containers for coastal planting. Our aquarium-size plants are grown hydroponically and shipped with 4-6 leaves. Our plants are grown from seed collected in Florida East Coast waters. Contract growing, contract planting, monitoring, and arborist service is also available.

Red Mangrove is a tropical plant and is damaged at sustained temperatures below 45 degrees F. We cannot ship where plants will be exposed to these temperatures for prolonged periods before delivery, so order before winter sets in!

SHIPPING INFORMATION

We are certified for shipment to California and Texas.

Shipment outside the U.S. requires purchase of a phytosanitary certificate ($40.80). We obtain the Certificate and required inspection for you, but the buyer must pay the cost of the certificate and whatever fees may be required for walking plants through Customs.

WARM WEATHER SHIPPING
    REGULAR GROUND SHIPPING.
    Now included with purchase.

For those who wish to order less than 5 plants, the minimum is set to 2. </span>

I can hardly wait until my little trees arrive!

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Kerie,
    How funny, I have been searching around to see if I could purchase mangrove leaves, etc for my crabs and had even considered planting a few myself. I definitely think that (mangrove sap) is one of the reasons the crabs go nuts for that particular food. Like you, I have been leary of feeding it because of the meal products. Let us know how your trees work out [​IMG] I'm excited too!

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I can do even better:

If anyone is interested in mangrove root balls, I have a one-time-only opportunity. The woman who is going to sell them to me is moving April 15 and can't get this grade of mangrove any more.

"10 root balls weigh 1 oz
    These plants are 1 year old so the root system is quite developed.

1 oz of root balls = $5.00
    1 lb of root balls = $75.00
    2 lbs of root balls = $120.00

You should get all your crab people together and purchase all I've got -- I'll be moving and won't be able to supply this root size/quality
    after April 15. I can put together 2 lbs for sure and have them out to you before the end of the month..."

[​IMG]

If anyone wants to pool an order, please email me (kali.epicureanhermit@gmail.com). Let me know how much you want, and I'll get the order and parcel it out. I'll need to know by 3/15.

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Did you get your trees yet? I'm curious to see how the crabs like them (either to climb on or eat [​IMG] )

6. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

No! And I'm getting pretty mad about it, as nobody is answering my emails.

If I haven't seen them or heard from the company by the end of the week, I"m going to cancel it and get the live mangrove from the woman who is supplying the root balls (different company). She said she was drying out our root order last week, so I'm hoping to have them and send them out soon.

If this company doesn't pull its socks up soon, I"ll be posting a complaint in the appropriate forum, so everyone else can avoid them, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.