1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting suggestions for 75gal

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Jennifer Leatherwood, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Hi everyone,
    I am getting a new 75 gal in a few weeks and I am concerned about how I will heat this whole tank. I am planning on putting (2) 11x14 UTHs in addition to lights.

My problem is that I currently have a reptile light that holds (2) 40 Watt moonglo bulbs it works great, except that it cracked the quarter inch glass panel that it was resting on because it was not tempered. So now I have 2 panels of glass and where there is no panel I have the light. With regular misting I can keep the Hum. and Temp up around 80 ea.

I am concerned that when I get my new tank with the nice flip top (versa tops) glass lids that they will crack also. I asked the guy at petco if the tops were tempered and he said no. Maybe he dosen't know what he is talking about but he might be right. So if they are not tempered what should I use for a light fixture and light bulbs etc. I was thinking about buying a light fixture that will house a reptile flourescent for day and the moonglo bulbs for night but will this fixture sit right on top of the glass and break it again, probably. So any suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jenn

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I have a 75 gallon too, and here's what I did for heating:

[​IMG]

It's a 40-watt moonglow light in a ceramic fixture, suspended from the crossbar. (The cords run along the back rather than the front now -- I took this not long after I set it up.) I have a thermostat that controls it. It raises the tank temp up to 5 or 6 degrees above room temperature, which has been fine so far here in Houston where it doesn't get that cold anyhow. A 40-watt ceramic heating fixture would probably get the tank a bit warmer, even.

I have heard that UTHs don't work well for large tanks, but your crabs could enjoy having an extra-warm spot to visit!

3. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I have the glass versa top and it is not tempered. I have two 25 watt moonglow bulbs and a florescent and it does not get the glass too hot. I would be afraid to use anything higher, but I don't think it will be necessary because the tank gets so warm & humid with the lid closed that I actually have to open it a crack. In the daytime I usually just leave the florescent on and the lid closed and so far it stays between 70-80 just fine. My tank is only 40 gallons, not 75. Maybe you should look into a heater on part of the bottom of the tank that will heat the substrate and just keep lower wattage bulbs in the lamp?

4. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I have a 29 gallon now, and what I do to heat it is I purchased a reptile heating and lighting kit online. I checked around but they dont have anything for a 75 gallon. I use a 100watt incandesant blue heat light bulb, and a 25 watt incandesant blue heat light bulb. It doesnt dry out my tank at all, and the substrate stays about 70 degrees. I use one of the floating aquarium thermomiters with the suction cup taken off, and thats stuck down into the sand to measure the sands temp. I dont have any problems with humidity, but sometimes my tank drops down to about 70 degrees, even with both day lights going. So if you do go with heat bulbs in say clamp lamps, start out with a higher wattage. I had started out with 25 watt bulbs, but they just didnt hack it. My room is a bit chilly sometimes, thats probably why I had to go with such high wattage bulbs. I hope this helps even though I dont have a 75 gallon tank.

5. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, Froggz do you have a versa top on your tank and does the reptile light fixture sit right on top of the glass?

6. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

No, the kit came with a screen lid that has a hinge right in the middle. The light bar sits on top of that. The front half of the screen lid I put swran wrap on to keep the humidity in. I made sure I have everything far enough down so that no crabs can get to the screen.

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.