1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lethargic crab??? What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by silver616, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

:eek:Hey all....I need some help. My E, Captain, who I've had for over 3 months, has been very lethargic lately. He recently (about a month ago) molted, but since then has not been very active. The temp and humidity in my tank are fairly constant at 75. I've been feeding him high energy foods including egg yolk, honey, spirulina powder, shrimp, etc. I also have chlorine free salt and fresh water available at all times. Any suggestions?

P.S....sadly I lost a very new crab (Ray...2 weeks) today...he was very sickly when I got him from the pet store and he couldn't recover :(

2. silver616

Please....can anyone think of anything I should be doing?

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Could it be that he is getting ready to molt again? Sometimes they have some catch-up to do after you bring them home because their conditions at the pet stores are usually less than adequate.

My Batman was not very active for a couple of weeks....sat in the same spot all the time, but now he's back to normal. Now that I'm writing this, I wonder if he was just lonely as my only other crab, Daisy, was down molting at the time but she's back again. Hmmm... I just basically let them be and they do what they have to do. The less stress I cause them, the better I find. I know that's not really an answer, but sometimes there is none, especially when we're doing what we should be.

Any change the last few days?

4. silver616

Not really....he changed into a bigger shell; so, maybe that will help. You may be right though....he may be getting ready to molt again...thanks

5. silver616

He's now about half buried under a hut and back in the smaller shell (despite numerous others to choose from)....blah.....the weird thing about how he is buried though is that instead of his body facing down towards the hole, it's facing up (if that makes any sense). Anyway, I'm still worried (despite hoping that he may just be getting ready to molt)....any suggestions?

6. silver616

:( :( He's now out of his shell and laying on his side...still moving, but it's not looking good!! I'd appreciate any feedback

7. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Why not do a salt dip for thirty seconds. Hermit crab salt only!

8. silver616

:( Thank you all for the feedback, but Captain died....I guess he just couldn't make it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.