1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

let me know what you think

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by rcar77, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Asthetically, it looks great. I see a gauge in your tank, do you have both a temp. and a humidity gauge? Also, make sure you have both fresh and salt water for your crabs and they should be able to fully submerge in the water dishes. It looks like you have done a great job with your crabitat!:)

3. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

I have two temp gauges one is by the top level then the other on towards the bottom of the tank and it has a humidity gauge by it. I have both salt and freshwater. I have a deeper bowl for the saltwater that will have an airstone in it.

4. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

depending on the size of your crabs, you may need to make your substrate deeper, though other then that I see gauges and all that, so it all looks good to me besides the depth of the substrate!

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WOW that is a great tank- I would also suggest the substrate keeping in mind the black band on the bvottom is deceiving- it was to me at first- generally the depth goes to half of the black band-- something to think about. :)

6. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Wow!! That looks awesome!! Mine looked nothing like that when I first started!! Come to think of it, it doesn't look that cool now!! I am not very creative!!!

7. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

Thanks I am going to be putting more more EE to make it half play sand and half EE so it will bring up the the substrate level. I have notice that crabs tend to lean towards the EE side of the tank.

8. alli'smommy

How did you make your second level?? I want to do something like that!!

9. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

I took plexiglass cut to the size i need for a platform and then i took little plastic square tabs and used clear silicone (just make sure if you use silicone that you dont's use the one that has mold control). and siliconed the tabs to the tank so it would hold up the plexiglass platform and than i took more plexiglass and silicone the lip that holds the EE. I used a climbing stick to hold it up too. if need to know more just let me know.

10. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

It is beautiful.

11. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

WOWZERS!!!!!!! Looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

12. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Hmmm. Very hard to believe such a fantastic tank was decorated by a newbie. Have you had some interior design classes? I love it - especially what you did with that 2nd level.

13. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

I delt with different types of reptiles such as chameleons and snakes for about 12 years. The habitat are really close to the same. Most of the stuff you see in the cage came from different types of enclosers that I've had. the tree trunk and cave where ones that I've used in some of snakes habitat. And I also do alot of research before I set up my enclosers. This I can say is one of my favorites.

14. krackersmom2

Nice handy work!

15. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

One of my favorites too. I'm printing it out for my "Dream List of Great Habitats" files. I'd ask if you mind, but I don't care, because it's going to the top of my file!!

PS: Thanks for sharing with us that 2nd level design, soon to be in a crabitat near you!!!

16. rcar77

rcar77 (Micro Crab)

just an update. I have went with half EE now which has increased the substrate and i have finshed making my salt water dish with the airstone. I was just woundering what i should use in the bottom of the dish for the smaller hermies. river type stones, crushed coral or any other ideas.

17. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Medium sized river stones work best. It allows you to easily remove/pick up the "steps" to clean the dish. Crushed corals are expensive and having to remove it, then putting back in each time you clean the dish is a lot of work. I've also seen people use glass stones. Those work out too, they add color (if you decide to buy color) and serve as steps for small crabs.

18. krackersmom2

I use a lava rock in each dish....gives 'em something to grip when they are climbing out. I have yet to see a hermie slip off a lava rock.

19. alli'smommy

I have a natural sponge in each dish. They are small so they don't take up the whole dish, but the small crabs can get to them to climb out.

20. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Oh yeah, sea sponges work great. The only thing I don't like about it (so I stopped using it) is that it requires a lot of maintenance. Having to microwave it daily and all that stuff. I know it only takes 5 minutes or so, but eh, I'm just too lazy for that.
    You can also use a flat clam shell, slanted to the side. It works just as well, it might get knocked around though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.