1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving crabs when im on vacation

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by jsanqunetti, Jan 3, 2013.

1. jsanqunetti

jsanqunetti Hi, I'm New Here!

So im going on Vacation Jan 18th - 20th, so it's just for the weekend.

Would I be able to leave my crabs with out someone coming over to take care of them

I bought a day/night timer, and I have some hermit crab addiction food to keep in the dish while im gone.

So I guess im wandering if you guys think its okay to leave them for a couple of days, and how to make sure humidity stays up while im gone?

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I leave mine when I'm gone for up to a week, I just put in a bunch of foods some fresh and some that keep out awhile.
    I have the Hygrotherm so my humidity and temp are kept for me.
    As long as you leave them enough and are sure your bulbs won't burn out you'll be fine!

3. jsanqunetti

I checked out the Hygrothmerm and its pretty pricey and it wont be something i need to use that often, any other suggestions on humidity control when im on vacation?

4. Klabelle

do you have a moss pit?

5. jsanqunetti

Yes I have a small one (little tupperwear rectangle one) towards the top

6. Klabelle

moss pits help with humidity. I'm sure your tank will be fine, just make sure the top is well enclosed (aside from a good size air hole), moisten the terrain a little before you leave, make sure your moss pit is damp and not leaching from the fiber.
    Have fun on your trip!