1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

larvae in sponges

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by maraar2, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maraar2

maraar2 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi! We've had our hermit crabs for about a month now. Today I noticed a couple of gnats flying in the tank, and the sponges (more in the salt water sponge than the fresh) are infested with larvae. I've microwaved them in water, and rinsed, dumped, repeated many times. I can still see some larvae: anyone had this experience? Can we still use the sponges, I feel reasonably sure that all the hot water and microwaving has killed them. Any advice at all will be appreciated. Thanks in advance=)

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Have you tryed boiling them ?

3. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Microwaving them should do the trick since it also sanitizes a sponge. The only question I would have is did you microwave it long enough? Personally I would just boil the heck out of it:cool:

4. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

how long do the sponges usually last before you need to throw them out?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yucky, I'd toss the sponges. I was never a real fan of using them. Too much work. If you're worried about smaller crabs getting in and out, use plastic plants and aquarium rocks in your water bowls.

6. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Sponges do help with humidity in your tank though... Speaking of trashing sponges I need to trash or change a couple that I've got right now.

7. ninjasgorawr

how often do you need to trash them, though? once a month or what.?

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

in the case of the eggs they would be goners! I like sponges but if it was infested baby BYE BYE BYE :)

9. Cleets658

Cleets658 Hi, I'm New Here!

i don't use the sponge. The pet store told me too but it doesn't absorb any water. So I just use the water bowl.

10. bluconspiracy

bluconspiracy "Never Molted"

Well I change my sponges out once a week. I take one out and boil it than let it air dry. I just rotate them like that. I haven't had my hermit crabs long enough to know when to throw them out all together though...

11. krackersmom2

A sponge is no more humid than the dish of water it is sitting in. I find them nasty and prefer not to use them. If your tank is properly covered, humidity shouldn't be too much of a problem.

12. Jason

Jason Moderator

Since everyone is coming out against sponges, I thought I would come out for them since I use them. All I can say is that if the sponge grows something, it has been in there too long. I have about a dozen or so and tend to change the one every couple days. As long as you microwave them and let them dry out, they will last a very long time without developing any problems. Just a note, do not microwave wet, as they seem to shrink. As you can see from everyones suggestions, there are many ways to deal go if you do not want to use a sponge, but for myself, it works.

Jason

13. krackersmom2

Thanks Jason.....To every person their own! I think people run into problems with sponges because they are a high maint. item. I know that personally I don't have the time to be microwaving sponges every other day. I would say use them if it's what you feel necessary, but make sure you are up to taking good care of them to prevent the problems that arise when they are not sanitized regularly. Another problem is that pet stores lead the customers to believe that is how the crabs drink their water....by sucking it off of the sponge:rolleyes:

14. Jason

Jason Moderator

I use it more to give the tiny guys a way out of the water bowl if they fall in, but as Vicki suggested, you could use fake plants to do the something. Of course you could just have all one size of crabs so could have a shallower or deeper water bowl without having to worry about some getting stuck in the bowl.

Jason

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

IM not a sponge hater LOL I use them..........:D my hermies have their own microwave - so they get a batch of sponges and they get nuked together--

16. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Really :rolleyes: I can just see it. Right next to your tank is a little microwave. :cool:

17. ninjasgorawr

right next to mine is a mini fridge :D. those spoiled babies!

18. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

yes mine have their own fridge also--food cart etc etc they have their own room!! When I was having it re-done I told the contractor- this is the crab room- he wanted the rooms to have a name so the colors would go in the right places==Ive posted pics many times. :)

19. Hermit Crabs

Hermit Crabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Boiling the sponges will do the trick.. hopefully. Best of luck, your better of getting some new sponges, there not too much money. Best of luck

Hermit Crabs (A.K.A Brian)

20. bluconspiracy

bluconspiracy "Never Molted"

Great idea!! I have to think of how I can talk to my husband into that hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.