1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladybugs and the science fair project

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by vckums, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Zacks doing a science fair project on the lifecycle of ladybugs. I am going to get him some ladybugs to bring in to the fair. my question is, what kind of soil and plants are ok to house with them in a fishtank for 2 hours? After that they will be released into my garden and my neighbors.

2. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I would just get them a devil's ivy. The stuff is indestructable

3. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

And a tiny TV.

and some coffee

and a playstation

and a doughnut. Prolly just one, they're big, they can share it. Unless they don't agree on flavor.

Don't get a jelly though, ladybug's hate jelly donuts.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

:laughing4:

5. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

I do not know what you have growing outside already (lucky ducks)...if you can get lady bugs and put them outside in February! :tongue3:

If you have plants outside that you are finding them on, just snip a branch off of whatever it is! I always find ladybugs where the aphids are...so sun flowers, ash trees,cotoneaster shrubs...in spring I find their larvae and adults burried in last years leaf litter that I mulch around my shrubs...

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I'm going to be getting them from the local nursey. They said they get them between the middle of February to June. I'll get them the day before, keep them in the fridge like the lady said, and then take them out the next day for the science fair. After the fairs over, they will get released into my garden and my neighbors. I don't have alot of flowers planted yet, but I will get the ones they like. I read white cosmos and dandelions. She said I could feed them aphids, last time this year(aske Kerie)my front yard tree was INFESTED with aphids. Where the heck were the ladybugs?? hehehe

7. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

Well there is a cycle of bug life...first there has to be an overpopulation of prey, then the predator bugs multiply...if you rake up all your leaves in the fall then you leave no where for the the late fall ladybugs to leave their offspring...and the adults overwinter in the leaves too...when I lived at my house I left the area beside my garage uncut and full of weeds...I also threw my excess leaves that I didn't cover my shrubs and bulb plants with...and of course all the lady bugs I found on my bean plants when I pulled them out in the fall got thrown there too...then I have my own "herd" of ladybugs in the spring...that is part of the "naturalization" ecology that is beneficial for your immediate location...I don't care about leaving a 2ft by 30ft long strip of wild on my property...the area doesn't have to be big, just contain the right mix of plant materials...beside the garage I have a raging crop of prairie thistle (crabs like it) and dandilions and crabgrass...the organic mulch created by leaf decomp turns into good rich soil...which will actually kill some weeds (chickweed) Usually the problem is finding an area in your yard that you don't mind looking ungroomed or that your neighbors may not like! It worked well for me because my neighbors garage was right beside mine and there wasn't much visible to the street.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yeah we have an area inbetween my house and the neighbors I could do that. She doesnt take care of her part of that yard, my mom put in all rocks. I can take the rocks out and keep the leaves and plants you mentioned in there...Now that I know the plants and flowers I will get those when its ok to plant them here..I want some plants to attract butterflies too, the 2 I had died. Don't think they liked the pot I put them in :dontknow:

9. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

When I was a little girl, I caught & kept several ladybugs one summer. I placed them in a large mayonaise jar, with holes in the lid. I remember my mother giving me some potting soil. I planted grass, and a few marigold seeds, which eventually grew. I remember feeding them a particular weed which tasted sour, but that I always found them on outdoors.

I kept those little ladybugs for a few months & they lived. Eventually, even though I was only about 7-8 yrs. old, I must have felt bad about keep them in the jar. I remember taking them outside one day, opening the lid, and sitting there on the ground next to that jar until all five of the ladybugs climbed to the top & eventually flew away.....Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home....

10. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

I LOVE lady bugs, always have been fascinated by them! I remember collecting jars full of them too! I did let them go...I even made my kids "hunt" them...who ever got the most in their jar got to have both parts of the popcycle!!!! LOL it is how I populated my yard ;)

Vicki, here are some common perennials that attract butterflys. You will have to check with your local grower if you even have them, there is sure to be equivalents for your region though!

Asters, Black Eyed Susans, Coneflowers, False Sun Flowers, Globe Thistle, Golden Rod, Joe Pye Weed, Rockcress, Sneezeweed, St. Johns Wort, Sun Flowers, Yarrow (red/orange varieties)...many bulbs and annuals too...

the fun ones are Hyacynths, Holly Hocks...hey I gave you lots, I could go on! If your plants did not like the pot they were in, it could mean that it is not deep enough, or it they like cool roots or you had the pot in a too hot location...instead of placing a pot on the concrete patio (where heat can reflect off the surface too), put it on the grass or ground, bordering the concrete... (Can you tell, I am already in spring fever mode?)

11. Matt

Matt Guest

You're in Edmonton right Sue? Is it hot there like it is here? I checked the thermo. in the garage and it said it was SIXTEEN! It's depressing though, sure it's warm but everything is brown and dead.

Anyway, I could get mom to assemble a full list of plants that lady bugs like, but it looks like you already have a good one already (mom worked in a greenhouse for the past 10 years, still cleaning houses on the side with me and sometimes jen)

PS That reminds me, I still need to clean your kitchen floor Vick.

12. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

Yes Matt I'm in Edmonton. Hasn't been quite as warm as you guys (no chinooks), but definitely unseasonally warm...we had a token sprinkle of snow, but not even enough to broom off the sidewalk! I just hope that it doesn't result in a cool crappy summer with rain day after day after day...I only listed a few plants that lady bugs frequent...and named a bunch (but only half my list for butterflys)...the more plants the merrier, I always say...

13. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Wow, that sounds like a great project in the making, mostly the planting the flowers and stuff more than the ladybug school thing.

Butterflies also like some of the same flowers that Hummingbirds like, the tubular type. My mom has her entire backyard full of flowers to attract both butterflies and hummingbirds. Both critters are so cool. She even gets this one type in there called the Hummingbird Moth which looks quite similar to a hummingbird and if you're not watching closely could be mistaken for one. When my mom and I still got along and I would go visit her on my days off we would just sit in the yard for hours watching the hummers feed from the nectar bottle and the flowers and watch all the other birds (Blue Jays, Cardinals, Gold Finches, Grossbeaks and a myriad of other types) fly around and do their daily things. I even got to see one bird chase a squirrel across the yard pecking it the whole way until the squirrel could climb into the tree.

I think you're getting me into the Spring Fever mode too now RFcrabs...

14. RFcrabs

RFcrabs Guest

LOL, yes spring fever is catchy...the winter here has been exceptionally mild, I hope now it stays that way because all my crocus's and tulips are coming up! They are out of the ground by 2 inches already! If we get our typical cold back without the benefit of snow cover, it will kill a lot of plants and trees! I just started my petunia seeds indoors, so now I will have baby dracenias and petunias... (this will hopefully curb my fever)...usually it serves to excite it more! By April I will be growing many types, including tomatoes...if this weather keeps up I may actually be able to move them out into a cold frame!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.