1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krill inquiry

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by CJ, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

I have purchased some frozen krill for the hermies. I had to go to Petco to find it in my immediate area. My other little pet shops didn't have any. The clerk asked what I was buying it for and when I told him for the hermies, he said they'll love it. (It is worth mentioning that the hermit crab display is taken care of at this Petco. The clerk was so excited to talk about hermit crabs and brought me over to show me the new crabitat they made just for the straws so they wouldn't keep having parties in the main display. They gave them bigger dishes so they couldn't knock them over and dump out their food.)

Anyway,as usual, I digress... [​IMG]
    How often should I serve krill for the hermies?
    I put one in it's own little shell to serve Bob last night. It was gone by morning. My hubby felt Bob needed it cut into small bite size pieces. Is this necessary?

How long can it safely sit in the shell dish if for some reason they don't eat it?

How many should be served per hermie? Is there a krill limit? [​IMG]

Thank you!!! [​IMG]
    cj [​IMG]

P.S. There was a medium sized crab that looked like it was either white or really light grey. What type of hermie might it have been?

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Hey CJ,

The whole animal protein thing is recommended every 7 to 10 days. After a while they might seem to ignore it when you serve it, so that's when you can give it a little break of a couple of weeks.

I don't know how big Bob is, but Itchy's about the size of a quarter, and she doesn't have any trouble dealing with whole krill. She tends to drag them off, eat the eyes first, then pick at their exo. I don't know if it's strictly necessary to chop them up. Sometimes I throw them in a kibble, though.

If you can stand the smell of it, you can leave it for 48 hours, maybe a little more. It will smell very much like one of the crabs died in there, though. That's when a Tropic Aire comes in really handy -- it circulates the air and the smell dissipates quickly.

I don't have a recommended dosage per crab, I just put some in a bowl. For my tank, usually four or five krill with some other items. Sometimes the krill are all gone, and other times they don't touch it. You'll need to experiment to see what the right amount is to serve in your tank.

Oh, yeah, a white/light gray crab might be a rugosus. Did it have orangey antennae?

3. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Thanks, Kerie!! [​IMG]

I put a second krill (cut again into 4 small pieces)in the crabitat last night and it was gone by this morning. In the future, I won't be cutting them up and then see what happens. I don't know if Bob or Mija ate the pieces last night. According to the Hermit Crab Sizing Chart, it appears Bob is just moving into the medium circle and Mija is in the teeny circle. Mo is smaller than Bob, but not by much, so we'll see how big he is after his molt. He may still be in the small circle.

I'll be going on the 7-10 day protein recommendation and see what happens.

They have cork bark now too, but don't seem interested in that at the moment.

Also, since we've been having molting parties, I have been offering honey for the topsiders, but no one seems interested in that either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.