1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeps switching shells

Discussion in 'Shells' started by Marcy_Mommy, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcy_Mommy

Marcy_Mommy Hi, I'm New Here!

One of my newer crabs has switched shells four times in the past 24 hours. The first time was out of his painted shell, which I promptly removed. Now there are two other shells he keeps switching back and forth between. Wonder what the issue is?

When he left his painted shell, I promptly removed it, and now I wonder if that was a mistake (even though painted shells are a no-no), because obviously none of the other shells make him happy. I have what I think is a reasonable number of shells in the tank. All that I think should be an appropriate size for him (he's a what I'd consider a large-ish small or a small-ish medium, if that makes sense). He's a pp, and the shells have the appropriate shaped openings.

What gives? :dontknow:

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I had a crab switch shells like 12 times in an hour and go back to his original, I don't know what to tell you.. maybe just leave the painted out unless you see him naked and not going to anything at all. mine love natural turbos and that is all they will go in

3. hermysmom

hermysmom Hi, I'm New Here!

Before mine settled down and disappeared to molt, he switched back and forth between a painted and a natural shell. He finally chose the natural one. I was worried that neither one felt very good or that sand was irritating him. But he finally quit LOL

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I would leave the painted shell out of the tank too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.