1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keepin' sub out of the water

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by HermieFan, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

How do you keep your substrate from being drug into the water dishes all the time? Does anyone have a substrate change around the water bowls? I have EE and was thinking of getting some aquarium gravel to lay around the water dishes so some of the EE would fall off before my crabs took a swim. They also seem to push the EE up close to the water dishes and it then absorbs all the water from the bowl. If anyone has any pics can you please share. I need to go buy crab food today and thought I would get a bag of gravel while I'm shoppin.
    thanks!

2. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Right now I have pebbles in my salt water pool and also in my fresh water fountain, so any EE gets sifted down under the rocks & doesn't look as messy. I moisten some spagnum moss and put a layer of that on top of the EE where I keep my empty shells and I find that it helps keep the dirt out of the empty shells. Maybe try putting some under your water bowls?

3. Crabbynana

Crabbynana Hi, I'm New Here!

In one of my tanks I have flat rocks around the water dishes and my largest tank I have pebbles you can buy at Petco in which the gravel, around the water dishes. If you have a large tank you could make a filtered water dish using a small world filter on its side in a 5" wide plastic or glass 2" high dish with gravel slanting down that filters the water so you don't have to worry so much. Just some thoughts, hope this helps you.

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have a cork platform with the water dishes recessed into it. The crabs have to walk up onto it (most of the substrate falls off on the way) before they can get to the water dishes.

[​IMG]

5. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Thanks for the pic Wendy. What an awesome looking tank. I ended up getting aquarium gravel and dividing the tank half gravel half EE. The water bowls are recessed in the gravel. I also put a bit of the gravel in the bottom of the bowls to allow the EE to sift down to the bottom so I can't see it. Looks much better!

6. Samantha1978

Samantha1978 "Never Molted"

Wendy- Did you make that cork platform yourself? I have seen so many neat things made from cork on this message board. Can you buy the cork? If so where? I would love to try something out like that in my tank.

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Yes, I did make it. It is held together with aquarium sealant and the size opening was tweaked a bit with an exacto knife so I could get the dishes to sit perfectly in the recessed opening.

If you are a crafty person, you would no problem making something like this. I have learned through trial and error though, not to try and put the "legs" of the platform together with the corks end to end. They always seemed to sag under the weight of the water and started to shift after a while. I would be more than happy to give anyone pointers if need be or if you would like me to build one for you (should you not be too crafty or just not have the time) just for the price of the corks, sealant and shipping-nothing extra for my time.

If you are interested in purchasing corks, you can go to http://www.thecorkstore.com The corks I used are .05 each-which believe it or not is very cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.