1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kaytee Papaya Bites

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by krackersmom2, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I found these papaya bites in the small animal section at Petco. They don't contain any of the harmful ingredients that some of the hermit crab foods contain. The only ingredients listed are papaya and I think some coloring. They are dehydrated and come in a zipper seal bag. There were also some dried friut mixes in the same brand as well. Whe I looked at the ingredients, I fully expected to see all sorts of oreservatives and CS and E....I was totaly surprised at how natural they are...there is some sort of food coloring in them...some pieces are red, purple, yellow, and green. My crabs seem to like them. Thanks to you guys, I'm trying more natural foods and finding it to be easy and inexpensive. I am afraid however of not giving them well balanced diet. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for making mixed batches of crabby food...like one source of calcium, a source of protein etc.? I tried putting a leftover corb cob in the crabarium last night...my two little guys ran from it...guess it was a little intimidating:eek:.
    I'm going to check out a local sea shell shop today and I will report back to the group if they have some good crabby shells. Someone told me that they even sell hermit crabs...will have to check that out!

2. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

I'd be a little concerned about the food coloring unless it's all natural like annato. I've found a fabulous organic trail mix called Tropical Delight at my local grocery store made by Woodstock Farms. I've been grinding it using a mortar and pestle. The crabs seem to love it and it has nothing bad in it at all except a little organic sweetener on the banana chips and a very little salt on the peanuts. I don't offer this as their ONLY food, but I think it offers a pretty good balance of things like protein, fiber, carbs. It's got several different seeds and nuts in it, different fruits like mango, raisins, dates, pineapple and banana. It also has coconut flakes. Sometimes I add some organic rolled oats to get a bit more fiber in it. I also add things like Rooibos (red tea) and dried rosehips to add some more vitamins. I also add ground cuttlebone for calcium. The only problem I've had is that the (unground) trail mix is so yummy I tend to snack on it too!

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

We advise not to use any food/water with table salt in it. Since you mentioned the trail mix you feed your crabs has salt on the nuts, I would suggest not feeding it to them anymore.

4. krackersmom2

I know my local health food store (Sun Harvest Farms) sells unsalted trail mix, nuts, etc. I really need to get over there and do some exploring of their bulk bins!
    Yes, I was a little concerned about what kind of food coloring is in the papaya bites. I will se if I can find out what kind it is.

5. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Honestly, Kaytee makes horrible food across the board. I have several small animals and would never feed them anything made by Kaytee (I actually make a mix for them, because for the most part, commercial food is bad for small animals). I don't know why hermit crab food from Kaytee would be any better than their rodent food.

6. krackersmom2

Sorry....won't mention any more food products guess I'm the amature idiot crabber?..BTW the guy at the pet store treated me like an idiot when I asked him about getting some dead feeder goldfish mentioned by another crabber on the website. :confused:I ended up putting my tenative purchases back on the shelf and told him I would go to the competitor if he was going to treat me like that! Luckily I live in the city and I have choices about where to shop!

7. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

You're not going to learn unless you ask, right? I've learned a lot from this site, as well as other sites, just by asking questions and reading posts. I've had crabs for several years, but I didn't really know the dangers of commercial food until I found this site, and I have since thrown all the commercial food out the door. You're not supposed to know this stuff when you first start out, how would you? Everybody starts somewhere, even the know-it-alls that are ready to crash down upon you when you mention something that they disagree with (and no, I'm not referring to anybody on this site... I'm a member of many different forums... ;)). It's all about learning as you go.

8. krackersmom2

Thanks, and yes I am feeding my crabbies more natural foods...like celery, boiled egg etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.