1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just checking to see if i'm up to date on crabcare

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by sirenequidanse, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

Tank size and type (glass, plastic, etc)? glass 10 gallon

2. Type of lid or cover? screen covered with plastic

3. Type of substrate used and depth? 6 inches of playsand

4. Temperature of the ‘tat? 75

5. Temperature of the substrate?

6. Humidity in the ‘tat? 82

7. Type and location of gauges? hermi med , in shell pit

8. Source of heat (heating pad/lamp) and/or humidity (tropic-air/misting)? side tank heater, using a sponge, cleaning weekly w salt w

9. Types of food fed (commercial or homemade)? all addiction

10. How often do you switch out food? daily

11. Types of water available (fresh and/or salt)? If salt water is used, what brand and how
    much salt to water do you mix it with? fresh spring, salt spring with oceanic.I follow directions

12. Decholorinator used? If so, does it have stress coat in it? no ,no

13. How deep are the water dishes? 1 inch

14. Do you use sponges in the water? If so, how often are they exchanged and sterilized? weekly

15. How many crabs are in the tank? 4

16. How long have you had them? 3 years

17. Do you know what species they are? I think pp

18. Have you had a successful molt with them? all have molted

19. If you take them out of the tank for a length of time, do you mist their gills first? dont take out

20. Do you bathe them, if so, in what kind of water and how frequently? no

21. Are there any unusual odors in the tank? If so, what are they like, like a gym sock smell,
    fishy smell, etc? no

22. Has there been anything new added to the tank recently? plants, cleaned with sea salt first

23. Are your hands clean before handling the crabs or anything in the tank? yep

24. Has there been any smoking, candles, perfumes, hair sprays, air fresheners, or paint near the ‘tat? no

25. Do you use anything to clean the tank (inside or out) such as glass cleaner, bleach, etc? salt water if in, dc vinegar water.
    if so, is it with the crabs in or out, and if out, how soon are they returned to the 'tat?

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'd ditch the sponge, unless you get the type for them to munch on and you can keep it dry. You are running the risk of harboring bacteria. need only top clean the poo once a week. can feed fresh fruits and veggies check out the food sites, they love a variation. cuttle bone from the bird section is good thing to, the plain white type, it's about 1.00$ can your crabs get their shells down in your salt water bowl? they love to soak in it. I don't mist my crabs either, and I only take mine out when it's time to clean or I have to bathe them cause of molting issues. I just use a plain old soft rag to wipe the inside of the glass with their reg water if it gets nasty looking. I have a scentsy air freshener in my kitchen I use all the time it's a good 75 ft away, it's never had any ill effects on my crabs. You might want to start looking around at yard sales for a 29 gal tank for your crabs I got one for 8$..then use the 10 for an iso. I've had mine since 2009, well 3 of my originals and just got 2 others this past Jan.

3. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

almost done with the 29 gallon, acrylic rods that have holes drilled are on, got new stuff for tank. new sand and earth, and got some cork for the tank. just have to get it all together. hoping today. the twins are 2 and have a dr. apt. not planning on using sponges anymore. gonna get a bubbler. and got my plexiglass cut yesterday. will post pics when done. :straw:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.