1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just call me a hermie-a-holic!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by maliasma, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maliasma

maliasma Guest

Hi there all...

My name is Michelle...wife to Adam and mom to Malia and Aidan (ages 5 & 3 respectively). I am a stay at home mom who is working hard on finishing a Masters degree in Early Childhood Education. We live in Virginia Beach, VA and we're proud to be a hermit crab family!

We started off with two hermit crabs from The Scotch Bonnet in Frisco, NC and now we have 7 hermies...and we've only been doing this since September 2005. We started off learning by trial and error and then turned to the vast wealth of knowledge on the internet. Along the way a few hermies have come and gone...mostly due to PPS but we did lose 2 guys to unsuccessful molts. :-(

At any rate, the seven we have today are happy in their 20 gallon tank. I am still wondering about their species (although I am thinking they are all PPs). I am not great at getting their pictures just yet but our hermies are as follows (my daughter named them all): Cherry (too shy for me to determine the sex), Polka Dot (this guy's too shy as well!), Cookie Monster (F), Silver (F), Sportacus (M), Pinky Dinky Doo (F) and Tyler (M).

I look forward to meeting fellow hermie lovers and learning even more about how I can give my hermies the best life possible! :hello:

2. Ms Lala

Ms Lala Guest

hi Maliasma. :elephant:
    I'm new with hermit crabs too. I love the names your daughter came up with, very cute. :petals:
    Welcome, I'm pretty new to this site but everyone's great here :blower:

3. Ms Lala

Ms Lala Guest

I almost forgot :oops:
    the Crab Street Journal has a thing on sexing crabs. it's in the care sheet section.

4. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

5. maliasma

maliasma Guest

Thanks for the welcome! Right after I posted this I started cleaning out their tank and got the sex of a few of them so I need to go back and edit my original post! LOL So far I have 2 males and 3 females and 2 shy hermies!

6. maliasma

maliasma Guest

I saw that...I have them bookmarked! I've also been reading Christa's site (www.hermit-crabs.com) for a while and that's where I first learned about finding out the sex of these lil' guys. :)

7. maliasma

maliasma Guest

Thanks for the welcome...I'm going to edit my original post because I now know the sex of 5 of them...my other 2 are a bit on the shy side! ;-)

8. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

:tongue3: that's the only problem, lol.

9. maliasma

maliasma Guest

Yeah...and these two are my "wild ones" too...go figure, huh??

10. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Welcome Maiasma!
    Its great to have you here :partyhat4:

11. maliasma

maliasma Guest

I thank ya kindly...it's a lot of fun! I'm with people who appreciate my addiction! Well, my hubby and kids and parents understand it...my in-laws think I'm nuts! :cheesygrin:

12. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Hey you're not alone. Everyone (except you guys of course) thinks I'm crazy. Even my family. :cheesygrin:

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WELCOME to the site :hello:

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

:partyhat4: :giverose: Welcome to the site!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.