1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just an Idea for picky crabs

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by NewlyCrabby, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewlyCrabby

NewlyCrabby "First Molt, A Success"

Well I have 6 hermys[[2 Purple Pinchers,4E's]] and all they eat is commercial food,even when i prepare freash food.I used to give them freash food daily when i read that if i feed them one day give them a few days and then give them more again they will eat.Since i have one hermit crab that eats only commercial T-rex fruit and flower food i have to leave a little itty shell[[about the size of this hermit crabs BP lol]] of that food in the tank at all times for him.So yesterday I made food for them[A strawberry cut up and the top if the strawberry,half of a grape,celery leaves,and a bit of plum] and when i cheaked on them at about midnight,i cheaked on them and one was eating but NO never the freash food i made them,but the commercial food sitting right beside! :rubhands:So this morning i had enough,i decided,there has to be one way to make them want to even NIBBLE on the freash food,so what i did is i took a small small pinch of this commercial food that they obviously love Oh-So-Much and sprinkled it over the freash food :p So i will see how that works out and get back to you guys! :muahaha:
    If any one has any ideas on how i can get these picky eaters to eat anything but there commercial food[[&& the call them selfs scavengers,Ha!]] please please help me!Thank you!
    Also if anyone thinks what I did[[Sprinkling the commercial food on the freash food]] is wrong,or can hurt my crabbys[[and i am aware that commercial food isn't briallant for them]] please tell me!
    Thanks every one!

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

You just have to stop feeding them the commercial food. The companies add a pheremone to the food that draws the crabs to eat it. Thats why they aren't touching the fresh.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

exactly as vicki said and dont be surprised if it takes a week- they wont starve themselves

4. NewlyCrabby

Oh,okay,but see,my mom won't let me take the food out of the tank ;/
    Thanks guys,any other ideas?

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Tell your mom to read this thread.

6. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

ya, i agree - just keep putting the good stuff in , and they'll come around. in my tank, i have some FB, and they nibble on that sometimes too. you know what i find is the best? bananas, coconut, and mangoes. its hard to get fresh, preservative free coconut, but i found coconut flour at the bulk store, it looks like flour but its made from dried coconut - they like a sprinkle of that (and its cheap), and if you want to make things easy, go to the grocery store and buy small bag of pre-cut frozen tropical fruit, or berries, so you have them all the time. they loooove the mango! fish works well too. the guy behind the fish counter at the store laughs, bc i go in once a week and buy a tiny slice of fresh fish, like a tablespoon-ful. the cashiers look at me like im nuts :hermez: but fish and mango will get them everytime ! good luck and let us know how it goes!

7. NewlyCrabby

They like coconut,i have given that to them and they actually ate it and also grapes,they ate grapes too :p
    Okay,Vicki,do you know of any place(siet) or anyhting where they did a write up on Commercial food and how it is bad and how they add stuff to make it addictive?Because if i tell my mom about one more hermit crab fact she it going to explode!BOOM lmao!

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Search the forum, there's a few posts about Copper Sulfate and EQ. Have your mom send me an email if she'd like.

9. NewlyCrabby

okayy,i told her :p i am gonna stop using it soon,i have like less than 1/2 less i will just put lots in and switch it daily and then i will run out and not re-buy it,thanks all!

10. NewlyCrabby

Okay i found out that there are materials in the food that they use to make pesticide I told my momma' dat and she told me i don't use it any more (Yess!!!!) so now i make freash food daily YAY,...you know you are addiction when you worry more about what your hermy eats than what you eat!

11. NewlyCrabby

Oh yes and I forgot to say my idea,sprikleing the freah with a little bit didn't work :( Oh well!Thanks to everyone who helped me xD

12. I know it's bad for hermies but I leave some commercial stuff in the tank anyways. I payed for it myself though, and being 11 I don't like wasting around $5. The good thing is they like fresh food! My Es are pretty picky too. Their fave food is raspberry. I hand feed them it sometimes (it can take 30 minutes before hernandelle decides she is too full) I discovered my picky eaters like soft food more than hard food. That why they like to tear apart grapes and raspberries more than crunch carrots and apples.

13. kcgirl81

kcgirl81 "Never Molted"

Jaee, try drizzling honey over the fresh food. That's something most crabs can't resist.

14. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I used to buy frozen krill (I think, it's been a while, they look like little pink shrimp) at Petco. You just thaw a few and throw them in with other foods, mine used to go crazy over them.

15. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

I had a really hard time converting commerical foods to fresh foods too. You just keep giving it to them. They won't starve, they just have to get used to trying the new stuff. Plus, I didn't think they were eating and they were, I'd find subtle tracks or moved/pushed food around from the night before. It made it easier after I started drizzling some ex. virgin olive oil, and honey on it too. I would also sprinkle something extra stinky on it too. Shrimp or cooked fish. Could also warm up some cococut shavings in the micro and they took to that really well too. It took about 2 weeks, and now that's all they eat! Good Luck!

16. NewlyCrabby

Thanks,yahh,The other day i was feeling really bad :p so i just cut gave them 4 halfs of grapes and carrotts and there was a mad rush for it,one hermy who hasn't moved for 2 months rushed there lol

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

Eggs, papaya, mango, coconut, banana's...try those. You can always cut them up and freeze them in a baggie for later use. Mine love the papayas and mango's.

18. NewlyCrabby

I have done Egg's & Eggshells before,i haven't done the mango or Papaya's i will try though,mine love coconuts but they arn't to fussy over the banana's :/

Last night i made them a salade(the first salade i have ever made due to the fact that i dislike it) i have lettuce and cabbage,tomatoes,carrots,grapes and carrott tops,instead of dressing i sprinkled Honey over it,then on the side i put apple sauce and penut butter :p

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

I had a cobb salad last night and I picked out some goodies for the crabs and set them aside. I found the egg on a second level this morning!! A tomatoe kicked off the bowl, lol. The fancy lettuce was shredded and mangled. :eeeek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.