1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jungle-themed tank

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by NotaMallard, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I find that natural jungle-ish tanks with greenery and Eco-Earth are the most visually appealing, at least in my opinion. I'm getting a 55-gallon tank for my babies soon (as in tomorrow) and need suggestions. I'm planning on buying six bricks of EE (I have a jumbo and he needs lots of room to molt) and a nice aquarium background, and also I'm considering buying a few corner shower caddies for moss pits and shell shops. I'll also get a coconut and make two more cocohuts.

But my question, anyways: live plants. Has anyone tried them WITHOUT getting them ripped to shreds and digested? I'm not expecting to be able to use them, since my jumbo and my large/jumbo seem to love toppling and dragging things about. Do you think I could get a large shower caddy, put a spider plant in it, and somehow make it so that only my micro and smalls could have access?

I'm excited, as you can tell. Has anyone made a terrarium-type tank, and how did it work? Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any fatal error in my plan?

2. Agustus&Nigel

Agustus&Nigel (Micro Crab)

I have half beach themed and half forrest themed in my tank to keep everyone happy. I find it very fun to have the different themes.

3. NotaMallard

I decided to set up my rescue tank with a jungle theme and the main crabitat is just whatever I have on hand (moss, sand mixed with EE, some plants, some choya wood) and I found I liked decorating the themed one a lot more. It is fun.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have a 55 gallon too, and I only used 3 1/2 bricks. It is 6" from one end to the center, and then graduates down to about 2" on the other end. Six bricks may be a bit much---I don't know---but it really expands. Congrats on your new tank!! :)

5. Agustus&Nigel

Agustus&Nigel (Micro Crab)

I'm glad to hear that you decorated it! Congratulations! I'm planning on getting a 50 gallon next or bigger...

6. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

I have put spider plants in my tank before. They seemed to last for a long time even though they did get trampled a bit. The shower caddy idea sounds like a good one to me. I may even have to borrow that idea.

7. NotaMallard

Oh, I haven't done the 55 gallon yet because one entire side has a hole in it, but I'll be replacing that with plexiglass. The sealant will take a few days to cure (is that what it's called?) but then I'll set it up. I bought a big corner caddy and a fake spider plant, just to save myself the hassle of a real plant.

And thanks, Mckenny, I'll just buy a 3-pack then.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

That's a shame about the busted glass NotaMallard, but plexiglass is great for a substitute. I put my EE 6 inches deep on one end of the tank and then sloped it down after halfway the tank to about 2 inches on the other end. I got tired (and worried) of the hermies burying under the water and food dishes. This way the plastic containers I use for water sit on the bottom of the tank and they can't get under them. I got some nice plants from Walmart, but I like the spider plant idea, I'll have to check them out to see if they have any in. Good luck and have fun decorating! :)

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I had a delicate fly trap and it just went in a week but my stonger flower lasted a long time untill I just felt like taking it out.:)

10. NotaMallard

McKenny: I was planning on sloping, that's what I've done in previous setups and it's worked well. Thanks for your help!
    After my hermies decided to have a party while I was at school and ripped down half my fake plants (in the temporary 20-gallon till this one is ready) I decided I wouldn't even try with real ones.

11. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

lol hahahaha dont you love bad they are when you are gone?!:p

12. NotaMallard

Yep, it seems like they do things just to annoy us. They're like little kids. :)
    Anyways, I got the tank set up. It doesn't seem as big as a 55-gallon, it might be a 40-gallon instead. I had a last-minute change of mind and set it up with half sand and half EE, mixed together. It still looks very nice. I have a big fresh water pool and a smaller salt water pool, so now all my babies can submerge completely.
    I'll have to wait till the temperature and humidity regulate to add hermies, but I think they'll like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.