1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been THREE WEEKS

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by MoribundMaverick, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

It's been three weeks and my hermie Bob is STILL under!! Is there any signs I should look for to see if there's life down there? I know not to dig him up, but this is getting a little bit ridiculous.... He's a tiny, and I didn't think that it took this long for tinies to molt!

To top it off, this morning I woke up and my other crabbie Jerzy was burried too. I had left the little flap on the lid open to let some excess humidity escape from the tank over night, and now I can't help but worry that Jerzy somehow managed an escape out of the tank. I know there's no possible way unless she stacked all of her extra shells up to make an escape, but I'm still scared...

Any advice??

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

There is a very good chance that the buried crab is destressing. He could have gone down to destress and decided to molt as well. I would suggest waiting a while longer before sending out a search party;). I've gotten to a point where I don't even really pay much attention to how long a crab is missing. All I could tell you is well, "It's been a while since I've seen ...."
    It'll get easier to wait;)

3. kittyosu

kittyosu "Never Molted"

Don't worry!!! (I know easier said than done:)) I am pretty new to crabbing (@ 6 mos. now) and I understand your concern but I had one of my small PP's buried/molting for more than 6 weeks and I was sure he was dead... And then one day, he appeared all covered in sand with his ugly magpie shell, like hey what are you looking at ?! I was ecstatic and couldn't believe my eyes because I knew he wasn't "supposed" to be buried that long for a molt or any reason, but he came up, changed shells and is now a happy crab. I try not to focus on who is down and how long cause you can lose your mind over it :eek:! I just do a head count and keep my eyes open for any problems that may come up. Good luck and keep us posted.:D

4. MoribundMaverick

Well I thought that my new crab I got yesterday might keep my mind off of the burried crabs, and now he's burried too!!
    Ah, well. I'm sure they'll come out fine!

5. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

To make you feel a little better, I had a small that moulted for ten weeks and another that was under for 17 weeks.

6. MoribundMaverick

That does make me feel better. Jerzy and Pip surfaced today, but Bob is still under, and he's the one that's been down for three weeks. I'm sure he's fine, otherwise Jerzy wouldn't keep sitting on him, huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.