1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolating Hermit Crabs

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by OneOnion, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Is it okay to isolate the hermit crab after they molt? Is it safe to carry them after they're molting? Also, is 1.5 to 2.5 inches of sand safe for molting?

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK the amount of sand is determined by how big you crab is- the sand shoudl be 2-3X's its height. If the crab is hard and walking around you can hold them. Why on earth though do you want to isolate them??

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I agree with HERMEZ. Why do you want to isolate them? Did the hermit crab do a surface molt?

4. OneOnion

Wait, what? Do the hermit crabs only eat the molting hermit crab while it's in the ground? So after it's molted and out of the ground its not all pink and mushy anymore?

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

No it should stay in the ground until it is no longer pink or mushy or anything else you might describe a newly molted hermit crab as.

6. OneOnion

Lol ok so theres no use isolating a hermit crab after it molts cause its not pink anymore. So I cant pick it up WHILE it's molting to isolate it, can I? x__X

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Never ever ever disturb a molting crab unless it is an extreme emergency.
    If you know a crab is displaying pre molt behavior, such as spending a lot of time in the saltwater dish, spending a lot of time at the food dish, and acting like it's "climbing the walls", you may want to isolate it in a tank with the exact same conditions as the main tank. It's also a good idea to move some of the substrate over so it has some of the same "smell".
    The problem with this is that sometimes just moving them to a different environment causes them stress and they stop producing the molting hormone, and instead produce a hormone that halts the molting process. This is why it's important that if you choose to isolate your hermies when they are about to molt, the conditions are as close as possible to the main tank (ie, humidity and temperature).

I personally allow my hermies to go ahead and molt in the main tank. I've not had any disasters so far, although I'm still pretty new to crabbing, but I've read that others who've had them for years have not had problems. I also know of a person who's had them over 9 years and always tries to isolate the pre-molters, but I believe she's got it down to where they are used to this as well.

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

What!?!? How are you new to crabbing?? You know so much information and are always such a great help!

9. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Lol. Well I started in December, but I've done a LOT of reading and research on the web.
    I wanted to make sure I'm doing the best I can for my crabs, so I've been double checking everything I read to make sure I am doing all I can. There is still a lot of old information out there on the web, and a lot of misinformation.
    A lot has been learned about hermit crabs in just the past few years, so you really need to be careful. if you doubt anything, do a search, see what's being said about it.

I just found a great website with a really good caresheet, except at the bottom it says you can use good potting soil or peat moss for substrate, which has been found to not be safe for hermies. I'm too sleepy right now to remember exactly what it said, but there is a chemical action that occurs over time that releases ammonia (I believe) and changes the ions in the air of the soil. This cannot be safe for hermies.
    See what I mean? I learn something new all the time. :)

10. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

you are new?!?!?!?!?!!?!

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Pretty much, Clover. I've had my crabs for only 4 months now.

12. clover

wow i have mine for almost a year and you know more than me but again i am 13 and you are.....uhmmmm..........older

haha lol!

13. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

It has everything to do with reading a lot on the internet and reading discussions on several forums, as well as their care sheets. :)

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

you guys better watch the older comments!!!!!! :D

15. clover

i am actually surprised by the language used here i thought there might be a few kids around my age cursing but WOW! I guess not!!!!!!!! :)

16. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

It's actually not tolerated Clover. :)

17. clover

oh i understand! kids at my school cus and i will not be in a conversation with someone who uses bad language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.