1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iso or Pop bottle?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by lovemyaudi, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemyaudi

lovemyaudi Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello all! I am new to this forum and a new crabber as well. I am not one to post and mostly lurk and learn. However, I do have a question...

I have had my two crabs for about a week and they have been doing fine. Today I found that one has burried himeself. If he is molting is it 1) better to move him from his dug hole to an ISO tank or 2) better just to leave him alone and add a protective pop bottle? I did not see the molt coming (blame it on the newb thing, I guess?) so I was unable to move him before he dug in.

And...there is not much room inside the soda bottle. I've read that he needs water, calcium source, and shells post-molt. Do I put all of this in there with him?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

you dont need to do anything. Just let him be. There is very very few of use who puts them in an iso tank or do the pop bottle thing. The only time we use an iso for molting is if the crab is in distress or surface molting or has been dug up. But if all is well at this moment let him do his thing.
    I would say to put them in iso when you got them but since you only have 2 for a week I think the main tank is also serving as an iso tank.

3. lovemyaudi

lovemyaudi Hi, I'm New Here!

Excellent! Thank you so much for your help!

4. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Welcome lovemyaudi!

Debbie

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

welcome you lurker! lol! let them do their crabby thing, they will be down for a few days and could come back up and do this several times then "poof " be gone for awhile destressing or really molting.. depending on their size. my larges takes about 2 months

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:welcome: lovemyaudi

Glad to have you here. :flower:

7. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

I have 4 hermies, and have never had an iso.I have never had a death, only out of luck and learning from all the great hermie parents on here! :thanks: :twirl: :huggies:

8. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

you will at some point and time want to get an iso set up, cover it up really good & tuck away somewhere for safe keeping, so no bugs can get in it, you know with some sand in it or a brick or two of e.e. in it. I didn't have one either until my molter came up then I discovered I had a bully that loves to attack the others everytime he molts. I need to get him out of the main tank for a bit and then get everyone a bath so they smell the same. then there is if you all sudden have a sick crab and sometimes you do for no reason you will need a place to keep him and to me using a pop bottle will not work unless you get that bottle shoved down to the bottom of the tank because I have had a crab sit and try and dig down beside it to get to the sick crab, you need to get him out of the tank away from the other crabs. Plus if people iso their crabs and bathed them when they 1st brought them home & got them in smaller tanks they won't be so stressed out and they might catch the bugs/mites earlier before they infest their larger tanks and wouldn't have a bigger headache on their hands.. just my thoughts and opinions cause I had been there with the bully situation. I have been lucky and never have mites or book lice, I had flying gnats , ants, and bugs, fighting those jap beetles now, grrrrrr! :scream: I have had sick crabs from post molt stress, something you just don't know if they will have or not..I hoped I gave ya some pro's on the owning a iso tank, a 5 gal or 10 gal tank with a uth works fine it don't need to be super big, and all decked out to the nines, watch for yard sales.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.