1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO for new crabs...

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by gracie, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

... I have isolated my new crabs from my existing crab by placing them in a seperate tank. Is it ok to allow supervised play-time for the whole group?

2. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Hi Gracie!
    Since the crabs in ISO are NEW I wouldn't take them out of the ISO for a couple of weeks, to allow them to destress properly. Remember Crabs are not breed in captivity so they are swiped from the home on the beach, shipped to the distributor, who then sells and ships them to the stores, where they sit and are allowed to be pocked at and picked up by customers, then someone buys them and bring them to a completely new environment...I know you see how this can stress them out...it would stress anyone out! So my advice is to keep them in ISO for a while without being disturbed so they can "Destress." Hope I helped!

3. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you... ISO is so HARD!!!!! We want to watch them play so badly! However, their health is much more important so we'll try to refrain from bugging them! Thanks, again! [​IMG]

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Gracie, I agree 100% with Jenn and I know it is hard. You just want so badly to play with them and get to know them. You will be happier in the long run though. Once ISO time is up, it is a great idea to put all of them in a neutral area outside of the tank for supervised introductions and play.

5. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

So, when is ISO over with new crabs? Do most of you go by a specific time period or is there a way to tell that the babies are ready to start "living it up"??? [​IMG]

6. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Really, I would like to know that, too!!!

7. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

There's no specific time period. It depends on the crabs.

If they start wandering around, exploring, eating, drinking, etc. and don't look like they're going into pre-molt, then a week is long enough.

But for your sanity's sake, check the new guys really carefully for mites! Especially if you have strawberries. Apparently, my new lot of straws had mites the same color as the crabs (that I couldn't see because I have old lady eyes) and now everyone is infested. Ick.

I'm trying an experimental treatment though, so I'm hoping to have some really good news for folk about it soon.

8. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Thank you very much!!! I like your crabs, too!!! I like your store,too!!! Keep it up!!!
    Thank you again!!!

9. Crabbynana

Crabbynana Hi, I'm New Here!

Kali Ma, what do the strawberry mites look like? I have two straws that have been in iso for two weeks and I also have old lady eyes. Can you see them move? I have looked and can't see anything. I have never encountered mites and definitely don't want them but I have never seen any. I have really bad eyes even though I wear bifocals.

10. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

They're big red/orange flat mites that like to sit around the leg joints and where the exo meets the abdomen. Really big mites!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.