1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Zoo Med Wipe Out 1 Terrarium & Small Animal Cleaner safe to use?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by Reina, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reina

Reina Hi, I'm New Here!

The salesperson at the pet store recommended Zoo Med Wipe Out 1 Terrarium & Small Animal Cage Cleaner to clean my hermit crabs' aquarium. Would any of you know if this product is safe to use? If not, what else should I use to clean the tank? In addition, I also purchased two water bowls. What should I use to clean them?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Reina :)

2. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

Hi Reina!
    well,I have learned not to trust Pet store people because they almost never know anything about Hermit Crabs.
    I would say that it is not safe for your tank.
    It might contain harmful chemicals.
    You can wipe it down with water,and you only need to do deep cleans every few months.
    You should boil them in dechlorinated salt water or if they are to big for that you should pour dechlorinated salt water over them.
    Hope this helps!

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

To clean the tank itself, you can use either vinegar and water or cut a lemon in half and scrub the tank with that. Make sure you rinse it out well after either of those methods. You can boil shells and other non-plastic ornaments, and you can wet wood down then bake it (it will smoke and smell awful if it's dry in the oven).

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I just rinse water bowls and then dry them when I change them. It's not really necessary to use chemicals. With deep cleans I just change the substrate. Hey, how d'you hose down a 75 gallon tank?;)

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I don't have a 75 gal, but if you have a wet/dry shopvac and a bunch of rags, you could pour water into the tank (onto the walls, etc.), then vacuum it out and dry the tank with the rags. When I did my 30g (too heavy for me to move), I didn't pour vinegar or anything into the tank, but I did put a little vinegar on a rag and cleaned the walls and such, then took a bunch of non-vinegary rags and rubbed the walls down, then took dry rags in there to absorb the water and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.