1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this substrate ok?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by bonechickchris@aol.com, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

Hi guys!

I am making a new tank over.

I currently use EE, cocofiber, and some sand under the food bowls.

I know calcium sand is not good as a substrate, only as a sprinkle on their food.

I cannot find any play sand this time of year. I was wondering if this sand would be ok? It is Repti-Sand. It is ALL natural, Has NO added Dyes and NO added chemicals. It also is NOT calcium fortified.

I would only be using this for part of the tank, and using EE coconut fiber husks as the main substrate.

Thanks! Christy

2. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

Christy - Go to Lowes in Manahawkin, I bought a bag there last week for a few dollars, I know they have it. It is outside, you just tell the cashier that you need a bag of playsand, pay for it, and they will load it for you.

3. createbad

createbad "Never Molted"

maybe u could call all your local stores because u wouldnt want to take a chance

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

The repti-sand is good, normal sand. It's a fine-grained material and doesn't have that added stuff that the calci-sand has. It's a lot more expensive, but a lot easier to handle for smaller inclosures.

5. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

Thanks guys. Thanks deedeeiam for the ok. I thought it was ok, but it is always good to double check!
    I really like it because it is nice and soft, and fine. Seems like it would be less aggitating to a hermie if he had some stuck in this shell. It is not coarse like the regular sand.
    And although not important, but as an extra plus, the sand matches and mingles with the EE very nicely, so it does not seem as messy at the dividing point where both meet.
    Christy

6. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

lol hey, looks are important sometimes!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.