1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this ok?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by cursedkid, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

i have 20 gal tank, like 4 medium, 4 small, so far they have been actually helping each other, and i had 2 hiding spots but they only use 1, so i took out the one they werent using, they mostly go behind or on my climbing background, anyone think this is ok?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

A 20 Gallon tank is a decent size, but I would not want to add too many more. I would also consider hanging vines or branches that they can climb on. It will add more room for them to exercise and explore.

3. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

I'm sure it's OK.

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Eight crabs in a 20 gallon is plenty. You'll be surprised at how much they will grow in just a year of good care! And even if they're only using one hiding place, I'd make sure that there are plenty of hiding options. They may not like the one you took out, or perhaps they just don't like it right now. My crabs love to hide behind a piece of corkbark leaned up against the side of the tank -- hiding spots don't have to be huts with little doors, though those are generally popular.

5. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I have about a dozen places for my two crabs to hide,and they don't always use them,but it's a good idea to havae options,like moire said.A 20g is a great size,and can fit plenty of hiding spaces without cramping the tank.Your crabs will probably be happier,and more active if you add more climbing things and hidey spots.[​IMG]

6. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Hi, I have a 20 gallon right now, I am planning on getting a 40 gallon when I get my tax return. My suggestion is get some artificial plants from your local acquarium shop. Makes great places to climb and hide. My little ones love to hide in the driftwood I have in there too. There is a little "cave" they have widened in it and they literally sleep piled up on each other in there. Just get creative and realize these little guys love to hide.

7. hermitcrab2005

hermitcrab2005 Hi, I'm New Here!

Should be OK

8. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

The pet store by me sells these hollow pieces of cork bark, they make excellent vertical hideaways that don't take up much floorspace and also add climbing room to the tank. I have a small hollow cork bark "tree" that I often find four or five of them stuffed into, and I had it set up even in my 10 gallon. Now that I have a 40 gallon I have two. Even with all of the other hiding places I have added since I got the bigger tank, these are still their favorite places to hang out.

9. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

i just got back on, i have alot of things for them to climb, i have a branch thing, mini tree thing, hanging garden stuff, climbing background, i was just thinking about getting a straw or 2, but i dont know if its safe since they are so big and mine bps are about 1 in, and petco has had them mixed for like a week, but i also didnt want to over croud it since i already have 8 crabs, i thought it would be safe because so far none tore each other up and is like a 15 gal tank then its divided for a boa constrictor(petco), heh i feel poor cause i never see other people with 20-gal tanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.