1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this bad???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by DaisyCrab, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I have 4 crabs in my large tank. Two have molted. Brat was down for a few weeks. He molted and has been back up for a little over 2 weeks now. I should also point out that all 4 crabs buried at the same time.
    Jay-Jay just did a surface molt, he's still not moving around but he does move in his shell, all looks well.
    Heres my concern: Daisy and Georgina have been down since they all buried. Since 2 of the 4 are back up, why are they still down???
    They are a little larger than the other 2, so if they are molting it may be taking longer because they're bigger...???
    I haven't seen them at all, and I haven't heard any scratching or ANYTHING.
    I worry that they have died. What do you think?

2. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

....anyone???

3. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

i have three smalls that always bury aroud the same time, but they stay burried for different lengths of time. I'm guess it would be the same with larges. I never hear them make any noise at all while they're down, and the 7 molts i've had, they've been just fine. I would say don't worry unless it's been a lot longer then you think it should take, or if there's a smell, though i'm not an expert or anything, so someone with more experience would probably give you a better answer.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

From what I've heard, larger crabs do take longer to molt. I'm sure it also depends on how close they are to molting when they bury. I know they also have to produce a certain hormone to molt as well. Chancs are, they are just fine.:)

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

how long is long? how big is big? Every crab has its own schedule- make sure there are no bad crabby smells although I have not been able to smell some dead ones in the past.

6. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

That makes sense actually. Jay-Jay buried for a couple weeks, then came back up and did a surface molt. I just hope they are ok. And my two biggest are bigger than a golf ball, but not tennis ball size. They might fit IN a tennis ball if you tried, but it would be tight, lol.
    Best way I could describe them.

7. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Like Hermez said, they all have their own schedule. Every molt seems to be different for me. DayZ was down the first time for 8 weeks ... now she's much bigger than when I first got her, but her last molt was only 2 weeks. Batman is usually typically around the 7 week mark.

8. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Yes, larger ones take longer to molt - maybe. Tang, a medium small was down for 9 weeks. I couldn't believe it! Until last week. Zeke, a smallish small went down a few days after we got him last September. Figured he was no longer with us. He came up last week after almost FOUR MONTHS. Ya got me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.