1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is reindeer moss could

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by thehermitshack, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thehermitshack

thehermitshack "Never Molted"

I was wondering if anybody had any experience in using reindeer moss with their hermit crabs.

2. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

I have never used moss myself but I have seen a few very respectable crabbers use it and always wondered about it. I look forward to others responses on this subject.

Cappa

[​IMG]

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I found this link, but I think this is a question for Gertie. Reindeer moss is actually a lichen according to the link below and I have no clue if that is okay for them without a little more research. I will keep checking in the meantime.

http://www.nps.gov/bela/html/reinmoss.htm

I have used sphagnum moss with my crabs and they LOVE the stuff.

4. thehermitshack

Anybody have any updates on reindeer moss.

5. kuplakrabs

Not yet Eric, sorry...I am still checking. Is the stuff you are wondering about white? I have seen it in craft stores and it is green and orange too-probably dyed. It seems like it would be okay-the white natural stuff, I mean, but like I said, I am not an expert when it comes to this type of thing. There is someone else I am in the process of checking with also.

6. thehermitshack

Hi Wendy this stuff looks like it is naturally green. Let me know if you find out anything. Thanks again.

7. kuplakrabs

Eric,
    I called upon the expertise of the very famous Gertrude Snicklegrove and she gives it the [​IMG]. I would say as long as it is naturally green and hasn't been sprayed with anything it is good to go! Gertie told me she has used some in her tank and that it holds humidity well. Oh, please tell me you will have some in your store...I love to shop at www.thehermitshack.com and sure would like to get some more goodies...can never have enough!

8. thehermitshack

Hi Wendy thank you so much. I am going to use some in my tank and you will see it in the new store. Thanks again.

9. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Ive used sphagnum moss and the crabs like it.
    Gertie recommended it to me. Especially for packing crabs, as it holds humidity. As KK said,
    she has used Reindeer moss in her reptile and hermit crab tanks.
    Hope that helps!

10. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Eric this stuff sounds interesting. I wonder if it molds easily.

Cappa

11. thehermitshack

Hi Cappa I was wondering that myself. I am researching this to try and find out. I am going to use some in my tanks to see. Aviate did you have any problems with sphagnum molding? Thanks again.

12. kuplakrabs

I have not had any mold with sphagnum moss. Have you Aviate?

I toss it right into the tank and when I stir my substrate (which incidentally is mostly EE) bits and pieces get buried. I have dug some up that has been buried for a while during the "deep" stirs and never found mold. I see the crabs eating it and hiding in it quite often.

I definitely want to try some of the reindeer moss. I have also gone "partially live" (if that is possible) with my tank and intend to add live growing moss/plants at some point in the future. By partially live I mean that I have introduced a leaf litter compost in the hopes of adding beneficial nitrifying bacteria to my tank.

13. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

no I havent [​IMG]

Try it Cappa, and see what you think.

14. HermiesRsweet

HermiesRsweet Hi, I'm New Here!

I use Flucker all natural moss. I use it dry on my second stories and inside of the huts the hermies love it and will all gather and burrow around in it. I tried it wet like I have heard some do but my hermies will not go in it they will sometimes munch it a little but they avoid that area of the tank, so I leave it dry. They are the bosses!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.