1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my crab de-stressing or molting?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by k_n_68048, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

Hi All!
    We're still fairly new to this crab thing. We have two. One has not moved for about two weeks. The tank doesn't seem to smell so I think he is still alive. If he is de-stressing, how long can that take? If he is molting, how long can that take? We're just not really sure when to become concerned about if he is OK or not......
    Thanks! :help:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

is he buried? Destressing can take up to a month--molting depending on the size can take anywhere from a week to several months. If he is new he could be doing either.

3. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

The one who is not moving, is he buried or laying on the surface?

All those questions are kind of relative to the crab but here's what I've seen with mine. He could be doing either destressing or molting, or both in a combination. If the conditions he was in before were bad, sometimes having good conditions can trigger a molt almost immediately. That can also be very hard on the crab. At very least he's destressing and that could take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month. A molt on the other hand could take 2 weeks to 2 months. My first Indo took a full 2 months under just a couple of weeks after I got him and some crabs may never bury to destress. My rule of thumb, and it's what I tell anyone I talk to who is new to this, is don't get worried until 2 full months have passed; unless of course you smell the fishy/death smell and then you need to find that crab. Waiting 2 months is a pain in the butt, especially when you first get into this addiction because you want to see what they do and are up to in the tank, but it's really important to keep handling to a minimum and never dig them up unless you know they are dead.

You may get other opinions and feedback and that's cool, this is just my experience and my theory and I am by no means an expert (lol, my very own disclaimer, hehehehe). I'm just a couple months shy of my 1 year hermit crab addiction anniversary. :banana:

4. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

Thanks both of you for your words of wisdom! I'm really thinking he's dead. There's not a yucky smell to the tank but he's not looking to alive to me. The other crab was digging next to him last night and I can tell it kind of shifted the position of the other one. Well, now you can see his claws as he isn't totally face down like usual. I gently nudged him a couple of times and absolutely no movement. He wasn't burried - so I didn't go digging him up. He's just been tucked down in a corner for the last couple of weeks - the sand isn't really deep enough for him to burry himself (I'm on the hunt for a bigger tank as this one is wayyyy too small). He's kind of on his side now so would I be safe to assume if he doesn't shift back over to a normal position over the next day that he's dead? :tear:

5. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

pick him up. if he seems loose is his shell he has probably passed.

6. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Yes, if he's on the surface, gently pick him up. If he doesn't retract tightly into his shell or just falls completely out, then more than likely he's dead. If he's trying to do a surface molt though, he may just be tired and listless because of that.

This is important: if you pick him up and it appears that he fell out, make absolutely certain you look into the shell anyway, and look good. When a crab molts and the exoskeleton comes off, sometimes it appears to folks that it's the actual crab as opposed to just the exo. In other words, you could pick up the shell and have something fall out and it looks like it's the crab so you either go toss the shell or through it in boiling water to clean it out for another crab to use and in actuality, what a fell out was the exo and the freshly molted crab is still in there. I've not personally seen an exo laying around nor have I had a surface molt, but I understand it can be quite confusing for those of us who have not been doing the crabbing thing for at least a year (I'm myself became and addict in Nov-05).

I just wanted to put that in there because I've heard of crabs getting tossed because it appeared that they were dead and in fact they had only molted and were still in the shell. That would be sad.

7. hermiesrokmysox

so how's it going?

8. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

Thanks again everyone :thanks: I still haven't picked him up to see if he falls out. I'm hesitant to do that as I've heard I really shouldn't. This is very frustrating.........lol. Our other crab has been around him and it still isn't moving at all and is on it's side. There still isn't any unusual odor. Guess we just need to wait it out some more and keep our fingers crossed!

9. hermiesrokmysox

let's hope!
    *crosses pinchers*

10. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

:thumbdown: Well, our Frisky has gone to crabby heaven. The smell finally made it obvious. The good news is we have upgraded from the little 2 1/2 gallon joke of a tank to a 20 gallon.....yeah!!!! We went shopping with crabcrazy_2 last weekend and got everything to make them their new home. It's great and the crabs seem to like it, too :dancin: Tomorrow it's off to get another crab!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.