1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it better for them fresh or dehydrated ?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by wadester, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wadester

wadester "First Molt In Progress"

I was curious to know if i should try to rehydrate food for the crabs, or just leave it dehydrated? :think:

Wade

2. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

You can do either way...most of my hermies like their foods left dehydrated, I'm not sure why...they like it better than fresh foods even.

3. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

whenever I put dehydrated food in there, it rehydrates itself with the moisture in the tank, so......my crabs will eat either, but the fresh stuff is nastified in a day, where as the freeze dried stuff or stuff I get from Vicki's store, I can leave for 3-4days if they don't finish it all right away.
    nutritionally, it should be exactly the same.

4. wadester

Thanks, I was curious about if it it mattered!

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

You might want to try fresh foods that are not so fresh. We like fruits and veggies crisp and very fresh. Crabs however like it to where it's starting to wilt. Freezing fresh foods then letting them thaw on the counter for a few hours is what my crabs seem to go nuts over. They get bananas that start to brown, apples with spots and mushy papaya and mango.

6. wadester

Thanks for all the tips! I have an abundance of crab food now, with an order in the process. I will sometimes rehydrate the food and let it sit a bit before feeding, and will continue to feed them dehydrated. I will see what our crabs like best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.