1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is iso big enough?

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by rodent111, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

hey everyone! i was wondering if this iso tank would be big enough for my crabs if one of them ever did molt? cause i'm on a very, VERY tight budget

[​IMG]

sorry bout the bluryness

[​IMG]

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

There's enough room to molt in there, but it will be hard keeping good temperature and humidity levels. You might want to consider using the "two-liter method" (where you make an isolated spot within your main tank using a two-liter soda bottle with the top and bottom cut off to make a cylinder). But only do this is you're really, really sure where the crab has buried (i.e. you can see the crab from the bottom of the tank. You don't want to hurt the crab when you push the cylinder into the substrate!

If your tank is big enough, you can just set the iso inside it. Once when I bought a crab that had just molted, I used a tiny KK in the larger 10 gallon iso while the molter finished his exo, since I bought some other crabs from the same store at the same time. Just another option to consider.

3. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

i tryed isolating part of my tank for my first molter, then i felt sorry for the other crabs cause there cage was so small so i just put the molter in this thingy

4. Samantha1978

Samantha1978 "Never Molted"

I have had 2 molts in the past month. My crabs went down into the substrate showing very little premolt signs. I actually thought they may have been destressing since they were fairly new. Well I never had a chance to iso them. I kept an eye on my other hermies to make sure they didn't bother the molter. Do I have to iso my molting crabs? I have read that some people keep them in the same tank.

5. hermiesRcool

hermiesRcool Hi, I'm New Here!

ISOing is a good idea. It keeps you molting crab from being attcked. Since the crab would be tired and a soft exo, he would be a easy target for attcking. Once i didn not ISO a crab becuase my ISO was taking by another crab, he was attcked badly. Cuts and he was out of his shell. Hollywood 9my non-molting crab) had dug him up and was about to eat him! [​IMG]
    So ISOing is deffentally going on the safe side.
    Your ISO looks fine. Mine is i think about that size. PERFECT! They don't need a big 10 gallon tank to molt. THey do need room, but it doesn't have to be as big as the mian tank.
    [​IMG]
    good luck with the ISO! [​IMG]

6. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I always let my crabs molt in the main tank unless they decide to do it topside & I have never had a problem. As long as they are buried the other crabs leave them be, even when I only had a 10 gallon. I have never had a crab dig another up, and I have had dozens of successful molts so far. Just make sure your substrate is at least 3-4 inches deep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.