1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is he ok?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by nene, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

i'm new to taking care of hermies, and my newest that i just got about two weeks ago, sheldon, was very active the first week, but now, all he does is bury himself in the sand all day and all night. i've seen him out once and that was two days ago, and it was only for a couple of seconds. ould something be wrong with him. could he be sick, or depressed? or molting? and if he is molting, how do i find out and take care of him? [​IMG]

2. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

New crabs can be very energetic for the first few days because they are exploring their new home and trying to find places to hide. But after they settle in, they slow down and become inactive (which can be very stressful for the owner!). What they're doing is destressing and trying to recover from their difficult journey that they went through to get to you.
    When a crab is molting, he just needs to be left alone. Other than that there isn't much you can do.
    If a crab is in late pre-molt stages, however, he'll need extra calcium and protein to make sure his exoskeleton stays strong and hardens up nicely when he's finished.

3. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

thank you so much for the advice. but now i have a new problem, my other hermit crab, brutis. i think he may be dying. a few nights ago, brutis who has been active since i got him, also about three weeks ago, just stayed in the corner and wouldn't move, i picked him up and he had coconut fiber all over him. i pulled off the fiber so i could see him, and i thought i might have pulled off one of his very thin feelers. i noticed afterward that it was missing. but lastnight, he still hadn't moved, and i picked him up, and it looked like one of his legs is going to fall off. it had lost color, and when i touched it, it felt like a piece of cereal that been in milk too long. could he be dying? help please! im very upset.

4. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

It sounds like stress symptoms to me. If he is still not moving he may be dying unfortunatly.

He may have been getting ready to molt when he was picked up and that stress may be to blame on the leg. BUT it also sounds to me like an infection and I would suggest putting him in ISO so IF it is, it will not spread.

I would offer extra calcium and protein to him and keep him warm and quiet and hopfully he will come out of it. A tepid salt bath CAN help with infection BUT I would worry about added stress.. so with that said, in the ISO try to provide a nice salt water pool near the fresh water source. Maybe he will get in it and help himself.

I hope that helps some and right now it is a waiting game to see if he responds.

Jenn

5. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

thank you for the advice jenn!!!! i did check on him lastnight, and he seemed ok. he was out of his shell a little and he was stairing out of the glass. i gave him some crushed freeze dried bananas, and crushed peanuts. i even threw some crickets that i bought from pet smart in. (not live ones, canned ones!!) he ate the bananas, and peanuts, but didn't touch the crickets. actually none of my hermies did!!

6. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

It is an wonderful sign that he is eating, and I would continue offering him good foods like that. May I ask what the temp is in the tank right now? Only reason being is that can cause stress and though they do sometimes hang out of their shells a bit at times.. I have also noticed they do it more when the temp. peaks.

Just an idea..

Jenn

7. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

well, unfortunately, i am still at work, and don't have a computer at home, but i have checked it everyday and it usually runs about:
    temp: any where from 80% to 90%
    humididy: usually exactly 80%

8. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

Just a thought but try to get the temp to be below 80 degrees and see if that helps any... once ours hits anything above 81 degrees our crabbies seem to complain...LOL

9. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

oh, i thought it should be 80%. what should i keep it at usually?

10. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

We keep our tanks aroung 78 degrees.. the humidty we try to keep about 78% to 80% and everyone seems happy.
    I am not saying 80 degrees is wrong... it is recommended BUT as a suggestion to see if it helps, as it may help the situation you are experiencing with your hermie.

11. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

ok, i will try that as soon i get home! i am getting ready to leave now. i will let you know in the am how he is doing. thank you so much to jason, hermom, and jenniferm, and crazeecrabber!! you are all wonderful!

12. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

you are very welcome!!!!

13. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

well, good news! brutis was eating again last night. i seen his cute little eyes for a brief period of time, but then he went back in his shell. he was eating again too! and i think he ate a cricket,cause i set another one beside him and it wasn't sitting there anymore when i checked on him about a half hour later. but he still hasn't moved from his corner spot. and he still has all his legs that i could see. do you think he will be allright?

14. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

Eating is a very positive sign. I believe he is trying to regain his strength and he may be a shy crab too. I am so happy to hear that all is well so far.
    Time will be on his side as long as he contiunes eating and all. It is also good that you saw his little eyes, maybe he is trying to tell you he will be ok.
    I would just leave him be and keep offering him yummy foods and he shloud come around.
    Jenn

15. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

i have another question!!! i have the drinking water dish, and the sea salt water dish on one side of the aquarium. brutis, is on the other side. should i move it closer to him so he doesn't have far to go?

16. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

Yes that may be a good idea to help make it easier for him.

17. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

My tank is normally about 75 degrees and 77% humidity. my hermies are active and they seem to enjoy the warmer more humid air

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.