1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he... dead? :(

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by lovelylivelycrabs, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelylivelycrabs

lovelylivelycrabs "Preparing For First Molt"

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? Since Late August

Do you know what species they are? PP

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? Haven't had to, they all came from the same place

Tank Size: 10 gallon, soon to expand

Lid Type: screen, covered in plastic wrap

Placement of tank in your home: Bedroom

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): EE, moist, 3-4 inches

Type of Gauges: Strip and Analog

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? no

Placement of Gauges: upper right corner

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: 70 degrees(i know it needs to be at least 72, but I'm working on getting the money for a heat lamp :( ) 70% (but my gauge might be wrong, it feels higher than that)

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):UTH, about 1/3 of the tank, about 1.5 inches over it

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): desk lamp (just for light) I think 60 Watts?

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? There's only enough room for one hiding spot but it's a big upturned flower pot.

Is there any metal in your tank? Nope

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? Not any right now, my old ones got moldy and I haven't been able to find new stuff

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? distilled water

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? N/A

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Yes, Instant Ocean

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? dishes, no sponges

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? at least 2-3

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? uh... no. I rinsed them in distilled water. Must boil now.

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?
    nope
    Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    Don't handle them, but always wash my hands before I put them in the tank

How often do you handle them? Haven't so far

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? No

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? no

What types of foods do you feed? fresh food, raw broccoli, mushrooms, baby corn, carrots, peanut butter, sardines, shrimp, salmon, banana chips, slivered blanched almonds.

What do you use as a calcium supplement? Cuttlebone. They love it!! They've eaten half the big one I put in when I got them.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So I go to change their food and their water and I found Franklin falling out of his shell... the strange thing is, there's no fishy smell. So I put him in a little cage (I don't have an iso yet) overnight to see if he's really dead. I sniffed him this morning and still no smell. I know they give off quite a pungent fish stench when they're dead, so I'm crossing my fingers that it's a surface molt. He buried himself under the food dish, but I didn't realize it and I did a deep clean, so I accidentally removed him (I know, I'm kicking myself now). He was above ground but pretty sluggish, and I tried to dig a little bit for him and put him in a shallow hole hoping he would dig back in. He scuttled away and hid in the pot, and was in there when I found him. I am desperately hoping it's a molt since there's no smell (does it take a while for the smell to happen, or is it smelly as they die?) I took him out because I thought if he was molting then I was afraid the others would attack (2 of them are a lot bigger, I'm not sure how that dynamic works).

I'll be devastated if he's dead. I love him. My mom entrusted me with him (he's supposed to he her classroom pet) and I bonded with the little fella. He's so shy and sweet... :( Please help!

What do surface molts look like? He literally fell almost all the way out of his shell.
    If he is molting, what should I stick in there with him? Cuttlebone, salt water, fresh water? Anything else?

:( Please don't be dead Franklin!! :(

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

He is probably doing a surface molt if their is no smell. When they molt they shed their exoskeleton, which looks like a dead crab that fell out of his/her shell. You should put in salt water, fresh water, cuttlebone, honey, and any other calcium source you have like cracked egg shells. Either put your flower pot over him or cover the cage with a blanket or something, because when they molt, it needs to be dark. Try not to check on him often. I know it's hard, but molts are very stressful so he needs privacy. You should check your gauge for accuracy right away.
    Good luck! I really hope Franklin pulls through! Ocean and Sherbert both did successful surface molts, so I hope Franklin will too! :)

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Did you see his abdomen falling out of the shell? If not, then he's probably back as tight as he can be in the shell until he hardens enough to get up and move around. If you did see his abdomen, he may be dead - they start to smell fairly quickly, but it will be more noticeable if you leave the house for a while and come right back into the room and sniff.

4. lovelylivelycrabs

Thanks! I'm still worried about him, but I'm at my granddad's house so I can't do anything about it. *bites fingernails*

like... how much of the abdomen would I have to see for him to be dead? He's dangling from his shell, but he didn't totally fall out. I did see his abdomen though. Would the exoskeleton have ANY color at all? There was a little purple on his leg, but he's pale otherwise.
    Also, I found him last night, I woke up and sniffed again and he wasn't stinky at all. There was more a sort of... I guess you might call it mildy chemical smell. That's why I'm holding on to hope. I heard they smell chemical-y when they molt. *prays* I was hoping he just hadn't shed it completely because it was still hanging on to the shell. :(

5. lovelylivelycrabs

I'm pretty sure he's dead. He doesn't stink, but there's been no movement and I just looked and he does have a lot of color on the body, which suggests to me it's not his exoskeleton that's hanging out. :( Poor Frankie.

:(

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I'm so sorry that Frankie passed away. I know how hard losses can be. . .

7. peach

peach "Never Molted"

Just wait for the smell. And if he didn't make it I'm so sorry not every crabbie makes it :(

8. lovelylivelycrabs

*sigh* he's definitely dead. Had a little funeral last night, went to bed sad. :(

9. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

your positive he was dead? there must be a fishy death smell for him to be dead! trust me, bruce dyed, and he had the death smell only took a few hours to come up..

10. lovelylivelycrabs

Oh yes. He stank pretty bad. :( Poor thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.