1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he dead??

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by nick-dadson, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Well im not sure if one of my hermies is dead or molting.. you see..

I went into my room the other day and he was upside down with a few legs poking part way out of his shell. Thinking he was just exploring, I misted the tank as per usual and went away again. The next day he was still the same so I picked him up, and afraid that he would get too hot out of the cave, I misted him and put him in there. But I haven't seen him since.

Is this normal? Because his legs looked the same as normal to me, like not soft, and he didn't appear to smell...

2. Tiffiemarie

Tiffiemarie Hi, I'm New Here!

this is sooo totally not nice but when i am worried about my crabs being dead i put a peice of paper in their big claw. obviously if its dead it doesnt pince. if he is alive it doesnt sound like he is doing well. i would put him in iso. does the cage smell like dead fish? if so you poor baby has gone to crabby heaven. my crabs were laying out of thei shells when i found the dead

3. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Well.. there is no obvious smell when I take off the lid/s.. but when I pick him up and put him right to my nose I can smell it a bit.. not that I have ever put a crab that close to my nose before..

4. Tiffiemarie

ohhh you would know the smell is gross i had one that was dyeing so i put him in a diff tank to see if possiply molting would help him. well he died the next day i opened that tank and wanted to puke... the smell is bad you would know

5. Tiffiemarie

ohhh yeah trying putting him in iso if he isnt dyeing he is prolly molting

6. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

dont you think putting him in iso will stress him out even more. Look closer at his body hanging out. Is it hallow? He may of molted.

Take a small plastic water bottle take off the plastic lid, cut off the bottom portion of the bottle and place it directly over him, pushing the bottle into the sand a bit. That way he will be in iso. When mine molt usually its to late and I dont want to disrupt them. If you think about wild crabs they usually arent isolated when they molt.

If he was dead and you picked his shell up his body would of slid right out.

7. Tiffiemarie

yeah good point i am not even gonna waste mine time with iso cuz as of today my whole cage turned iso like 7 crabs are molting

8. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Well i got rid of him last night.. he was dead. I got a new one today though :)

9. CrabCurious

CrabCurious "Never Molted"

So if it is molting it will still hold onto the shell? I am not sure if mine is dead, has been still and on surface for 4 days, in his shell but in walking position, legs and eyes out. No reaction to misting or picking up, no smell but he came out of his shell when I tipped him over..... Kind of slowly though, didn't fall right out. I don't know what to do with him :(

10. choppylikespringles3

choppylikespringles3 "Never Molted"

yes the can die and stay in the shell i bought a crab from PETsMART and after i took him home he came out maby once then just sat in his shell and would not come out i went back and found him in the same spot picked him up and i could smell he was dead still all wraped in his shell

11. CrabCurious

Mine is now out of his shell and his abdomen looks almost shriveled, not plump... with no movement. I put him and his shell in a dark cave in case he is still alive, but he really seems dead. I just don't know though because it has been days now and he doesn't smell bad.

12. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

If you have other hermies in with him I would put him in iso.So nobody can hurt him.:)

13. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

My guess would be that he is not alive. Does he respond at all if misted with water? If not, he's most likely not alive. Crabs don't leave their shells for long.

14. CrabCurious

No response to misting, guess I will wait and see if he starts to smell :(. I don't have an iso, but I have him in a little cave with a bowl covering it to keep out other hermies.

15. keris hermies

As long as the other hermies can't hurt him.I hope your hermie is ok.:)

16. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

THis is depressing! My baby is in iso and im hoping he's molting or wanting to c. ange shells or something- he sounds like he's in the same shape but i put him in water to get him to reasure me he's still kicking! It works cuz a living "tiny" crab as mine can't live with too much water in the shell and he comes out to breathe. It basically a bath I don't drown them or anything. But thats how I know they're ok. They don't smell that way either!

17. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

Never mind......I checked baby-and he passed on......this is a very sad sad day for all of us.

18. keris hermies

I'm sorry to hear that Hawkins07.:( It happens to us all.Sadly.I only lost one little hermie out of 7. & it was very hard.

19. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

Choppy, I think we shopped at the same petsmart cuz mine died today!

20. choppylikespringles3

choppylikespringles3 "Never Molted"

probally thats why i started going to jacks ( i have had no problem from their crabs) they also seem to know more than the people at petsmart!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.