1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Little Sodium Bad?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Shimmycocopuffsss, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shimmycocopuffsss

Shimmycocopuffsss Hi, I'm New Here!

It's seem like everything I get from the grocery stuff has a bit of sodium no matter what even if it's organic. I'm in University, so I don't always have the greatest food / treats for them.

I bought organic honey & organic frozen shrimp but they still have sodium, even organic carrots I bought have a bit of sodium in them also. Is a little sodium for the little crabs bad? If so I really have no food to offer them. :(

PS: Would defrosting frozen veggies be bad for them also? Since it contains sodium.

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Sodium is a naturally occurring element in a lot of things, including ocean water. Sodium in itself isn't bad for crabs. Fresh veggies and such contain less sodium than frozen ones as frozen veggies (purchased frozen) usually have some salt added to them for flavor.

From what I've seen, the problem isn't sodium in itself because crabs are naturally exposed to sodium. The problem is the additives in table salt - all table salt contains anti-caking agents that aren't good for crabs. Even some sea salts contain anti-caking agents.

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

As long as there is no table salt it's okay!

4. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

Problem is though it's very hard to find out actually what type of salt is in the product- they just list it as 'salt' (you can't blame them- how many food companies know that hermitcrabbers like us want to know what kind of salt the product has for the nutritional benefit of hermit crabs?).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.