1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

introducing new crabs to old crabs

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by rogerstrish, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerstrish

rogerstrish Hi, I'm New Here!

One of my friends had 7 crabs, and 5 of them died last week. My friend thinks her daughter fed them nerds and apple juice. She was very stressed, and so gave them to me. My aquarium does not smell. Hers did, very fishy, and when I asked when they were bathed last she said sometime last month. I immediately bathed them and placed them in an isolation tank. She had given me all her shells also. I boiled the shells and washed all the food dishes. I don't want to put them in with my crabs just yet. How long would you isolate them? They are very active and the iso tank is small, not to mention they probably are not used to being only 2. I plan to clean their tank out, and use it as a spare. Do the aquariums usually smell? I have 5 hermies, and we bath them once a week in water and let them play on a towel after. thanks for any ideas

2. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Like dead fish? No, not usually. I have some dried shimp legs and I when I add a little water it stinks up the tank, but I know its not my crabbies or their bedding.

Hermez suggested keeping crabs totally submerged in salt water for 5 minutes in a different thread about "little yellow bugs"

Maybe give that a shot. I wouldn't keep them in there for more then a week though, if they are healthy and active then you shouldn't worry.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

The smell could be caused by buried food, or if the 5 crabs were in there for a bit before anyone noticed, that could be it too. Dead crabs smell terrible!!!

I know this topic is debatable, but bathing crabs once a week is A LOT. If you have water dishes deep enough for your largest crab to submerge, they can bathe themselves when they feel necessary. I only bathe quickly when I first get them and that's it. Some people think that the high activity level after a bath is because they like it. I disagree and believe that it is caused by stress. You will note that they rarely submerge fully into their water pools, but will do so when need be.

Good luck with your two new ones!

4. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

I use to bathe mine, but I also noticed that they seemed more stressed out then having fun.

However, I did just get a new crab from a grocery store. They have a terrible terrible set up there. When I got him, the water dish was totally dry. I took him home and just set him in the salt water dish. He just sat there, out of his shell but kept his head under water for at least 5 minutes. I don't know if he was scared or just hadn't had salt water in months, but he seemed quiet happy then.

I have NEVER seen a crab so happy to be in water.

5. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yup...when I first get them, they get a bath and then they're on their own! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.