1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting thing about feeding...

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by OneOnion, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I read that there's a theory that if you feed your hermit crabs less frequently, they will molt less frequently, causing them to grow more slowly, causing them to live longer , and when you feed them more frequently, they will molt faster, causing them to grow faster, causing them to die faster. They do that for tarantulas. But the person that said this also said if you change them to eating less so suddenly, they will become sort of cannibalish because they're used to having food all the time. So that's just something I learned from this one site... Sorry if this is an old thing and everyone knows about it already...:eek: I don't know if it's true or not, the site I got it from just said it was a theory.

I know you're not allowed to post links, but how about for posting sources? I got this from another site.

Also has anyone tried feeding dog food for hermit crabs?

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Ok. What site did you get this from? I think this is a new thing on the forum; i have not heard it before but I've only been here for less than a year. It sounds interesting but I'm not so sure about it. if it's just a theory, i would not be the one to test it. I don't think you want to stunt their growth and anything trying to slow them down too much might be hurtful to them. If they are not getting enough food they will just eat a lot more when you finally feed them. I did not realize this one crab was up from his molt and then when I fed him after a couple days he ate a whole fourth of a grape! if you take good care of them they can live past 20 anyways my thought is don't try it. How often would you feed them if you did follow this idea?
    By the way, cat food's not too good if all the ingredients are not on the safe food list. if it has a bunch of chemicals ect it's not a good choice either. You should try organic baby food instead. it's a lot healthier and I know it's safe.

3. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Kk. I wasn't going to do that anyway, it said you have to feed them more when they are about to molt and stuff and I was too lazy to do that:p. I just wanted to know what people thought about it.

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I never heard of that. I agree with cococrisp. You shouldn't try it unless a lot of other people did and said it worked really well. What site did you get it from?

Check the ingredients on the safe food list for dog food and make sure it doesn't have any preservatives or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.