1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting chirping event

Discussion in 'Caribbean Vacation - COL (Chirping Out Loud).' started by crabalicious, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

I have heard my hermies chirp on a few occasions. One was in the car on the way home from being rescued, a few times during "fights", and a few times randomly at night while newbies were getting settled into iso.

A few weeks ago something happened that I thought was intriguing. i have 2 tanks, one has a built in pool and waterfall. The other is more arboreal and larger. I was doing deep cleans and rearranging. I moved all my crabs into the larger tank once I had finished it. I had to wait to do the smaller tank because I knew there was a molter in there. A few nights later the molter dug up. I decided to leave him there alone for a while to make sure he was hardened and up to full strength before going back with the colony. Every night he started croaking like crazy. Night after night! Finally, I went and picked a gentle crab that was smaller than him and added her to his tank. That solved it; he was looking for his friends!

I don't recall having read that was a reason they chirped, but I think he must have been calling for the other crabs. He's never lived alone before.

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Awwwww thats a cute story! ;)

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

That's interesting. Usually it a stress call. I've heard mine when a log fell in the tank but that's funny. Poor little guy. I'm glad he's with his buddies now.:)

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I only hear my hermies chirp occasionally. . . It is a wonderful surprise when they start singing a solo just for me!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.