1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting behavior

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Iblab crab, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

This question is for long time crabbers.I have been crabbing since 1976 and never seen this behavior.I have a small pp that molted a month ago.I had just given her 4 new shells to try.Before I gave them to her I boiled them in salt water because when they arrived in the mail they had a slight fishy smell,so I knew there was left over bits of mollusk inside. As she was checking them out she started scrapping her big claw back and forth on the area around the bottom of the openning. This went on for 30-40 seconds My theory is that she was checking for occupants,maybe trying to coax a creature out.Perhaps she scented something had been in there. I never saw her put her bp to her mouth parts so I know she was not scrapping for calcium.Plus she has every calcium item available.
    Have you seen this behavior or have any ideas?
    IBlab crab

2. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

I may have only been crabbing <successfully> since July 2010, but I have seen this behavior before. My pickier crabs seem to do this, I believe it is to check for occupants.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I agree---sounds like she was being cautious about putting her body in a strange place and just checking it out.  :flower:

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

never seen my crabs do that before just flip the crap out of them and got ones before that smelled like cat poop!

5. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

the more I pay at :dance: :smallhi: :cringle: :saberfight:tention to the crabbies, the smarter I realize they are. They are really amazing creatures!