1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Industry Canned Vegies?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by momofboyz, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

I've been thinking about giving my hermies canned vegies here lately, but I'm unsure about the vegies safety. A lot of the vegies I buy are salt free, so the only ingredients are like green beans and water. However, I'm not sure that the vegies haven't taken on some of the metals from the cans. Does anyone know if this is true or if this will hurt my hermies? I tried to search this on this site but I didn't really find anything.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

2. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I know some people suggest not to use canned crickets for that reason, metal leaching. So I'd wouldn't.

3. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

Even though it may not be listed in the ingredients, I believe all canned veggies have preservatives in them and they can be harmful to the crabs.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

It's beter to use frozen and fresh vegetables. I freeze small packages of fresh veggies so I have them ready when my crabs need them. Make sure the frozen veggies you buy have no butter sauce or salt added. Good luck with your crabbies!

5. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

I was pretty sure that I couldn't use the canned vegies, but I wanted to make sure. It makes me a little leary about what I've been feeding my family since I started trying to take care of these hermit crabs. I mean, if these things are harmful to little critters, they probably aren't real great for humans either. I know that are systems are more advanced to handle things that shouldn't be there, but it still gives you something to think about. I think my hermit crabs eat better than we do!!!

6. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

Metal leaching aside, canned vegetables often have little to no nutritional value. It's all been peeled, boiled and/or processed away.

The following article on fresh/frozen food pesticides was posted in the may edition of Family Circle magazine. (all are fresh foods unless otherwise noted.) Maybe you'll find it helpful.

Foods highest in pesticide use:
    peaches
    apples
    sweet bell peppers
    celery
    nectarines
    strawberries
    cherries
    pears
    imported grapes
    spinach
    lettuce
    potatoes

Foods that contain little to no pesticides:
    onions - hermit inedible
    avocados
    frozen sweet corn
    frozen sweet peas
    pineapples
    mangoes
    asparagus
    kiwi
    bananas
    cabbage
    broccoli
    papaya

It's said that by avoiding the foods in the high pesticide use category, you could lower pesticide exposure by NINETY percent. I also read somewhere and I don't recall the source that the majority of frozen veggies contain no salt.

7. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

Actually, I have trouble finding frozen veggies with no salt.

8. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Does it say on the package that it has salt in it? I ought to check that out. I never realized that frozen food would have salt in it. :)

9. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

Yes, on the back of frozen foods the ingredient panel will list the veggie and any other ingredients like salt if there are any.

10. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

I fed my guys Great Value frozen broccoli from Wal Mart last night, and there isn't any salt in it. I'm not sure about their other frozen vegies, but that one seems to be okay. The only ingredient in it was the broccoli. I even went to double check just to be sure.

11. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

OMG I feed my hermies celery EVERYDAY! ARE THEY GONNA DIE?!?!?!?!?!?

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't think so, but in the future wash everything very well, just like you would as if you are the one that is going to eat it. A lot of people buy organic, it's safer but also more expensive. I change my menu up every night too. My crabs don't seem to like the same things repeated over and over. Variety is the spice of life. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.