1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i'm worried

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Dragoncrab9, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Dragoncrab9

Dragoncrab9 Hi, I'm New Here!

I just got two new hermit crabs one medium one named hello kitty

and a jumbo(large)one Megeanta

Here's a catch up on the sizes of my others in my ten gallon that i have now:

midget Size--small
    zoom--Small/medium
    hermet--medium
    the claw--medium
    bandit--medium

Did i make a mistake on the sizes if i did do i need to get the jumbo one or two out?

because now that i have megeanta she has already been aggressive when i gave her a bath while hello kitty's been there too and now that i put megeanta in the ten gallon with my other crabs i'm afraid (really scared) that she'll kill hermet or any other of my crabs. right now megeanta is de-stressing same with hello kitty. by the time the'll come out after that megeanta will kill the crabs (my thinking that she is a wild crab) just to have room in the tank.

i don't know what to do and this is challenging for me. none of my other hermit crabs never got angry at each other.

i'm scared that now that i think of it megeanta looks like she wants to be head leader (or just needs another shell i don't know) and hermet was the leader of the pack and now she might be killed.

if i need to get megeanta out immedeatly i run the risk of going to have to get all of them out while there de-stressing.

this is how im feeling right now:

:tear:

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Ten gallon is way to small for all those crabs. They dont usually fight but he might be fighting for space. You need a bigger tank If you want to keep all your crabs.

3. Dragoncrab9

Dragoncrab9 Hi, I'm New Here!

i live in a small house with a small room i can't go any higher than that sorry, but i can put her in my 5 gallon tank which now i have two more hermit crabs living in the five gallon one large and one small, and forgot about megeanta is a large crab not a jumbo sorry

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

[size=large][/size]:oops: It looks like you made the typical New Crabber mistake where You Want Them All. A lot of us started out that way.

midget Size--small
    zoom--Small/medium
    hermet--medium
    the claw--medium
    bandit--medium

This is all that you can have in a 10 gallon, and depending on the size of your mediums, you may only want three in the tank.

They need room to grow and to move around and explore. There will be room taken up by decorations and food/water dishes as well as a needed area for them to chill out and also room to go under the substrate and molt.

Usually the way to figure out how many crabs you can have is this:
    Minimum 2 gallons of space per crab ( I figure mine on 3 gallons or more, depending how big my crabs are, but I also have a 75 gallon tank so I have a little bit more room to work with).

If you have a 10 gallon tank, divide the 2 gallons of space needed for each crab into 10 (gallon tank) and this gives you 5---meaning if each crab gets 2 gallons of space, you could have five crabs.
    [align=center]BUT[/align]
    You have to allow space for the things I mentioned above, so realistically that brings you back down to 3 medium crabs (4 at the very most).

What kind of food do you feed the crabs? Sometimes a crab can be lacking something in their diet that can make them aggressive.

Do you have another small tank you can set up for the aggressive one? Perhaps in the near future you can get another 10 gallon for your room. They have them very cheap or even free in the classifieds.

Hang in there and do the best you can, and keep us posted on how everyone is doing. We're here to help...