1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm very sad.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Dezzi7, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Dezzi7

Dezzi7 Hi, I'm New Here!

Moved some things around in the tank tonight, and underneath something were all these bugs, I guess they were nats? So my heart sank. I think it's big-boi Lee, My very sweet, gentle and shy crab. Who I assume is dead.

I started digging where the bugs were, and I found: His shell, and a very few pieces of the crab. I thought I would have found, well..... more. So I dug all around the area, and nothing. I just don't understand where he is. Could he have been eaten?

I really want to find him, so I guess I will have to dig up the whole tank. But the bugs were just in that one area, so it doesn't make sense for him to somewhere else. Unless he is alive and the pieces were just left behind? I am wishing on that.

I am just so heart broken over this. I have had this crab a long time, and he was just beautiful~! His red and purple were so dark, lovely coloring.
    gonna go cry for my Lee.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Check inside the shell?? He cold be hidden way in the back

3. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I had that happen to one of my crabs, only minus the bugs. Poseidon was like...2 leg crumbs, no large/small pincher, no abdomen, and there was no way anything or any other crab could have gotten in. I had 1/2 a water jug around him into the coco fiber. Sometimes their deaths are a mystery. He had a body when I went to bed then 6hrs later, nadda.

I hope you find him if he did a surface molt. If not, I'm sorry for your loss.

4. Dezzi7

Dezzi7 Hi, I'm New Here!

I thought the same when I found his shell but sadly he was not in it. That is exactly what I found- just a few leg pieces nothing else. Lee is my largest crab so I definetly expected to find more. I had not seen him for almost 2 months, but since he was the shy crab I thought he was coming out at night, or having a long molt? I heard the larger the crab the longer they take to molt, it that true?

If he is gone, he will be missed. I had him for going on 7 years, and even though he was the biggest crab in the tank, I never saw him raise a claw to another crab.

I still have a small hope that he is dug down and will come up. It's a very small hope.
    If I see him, I will let you know.
    Thank you for your help and kind words.

5. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

For my crabs, I've had them for a year. My largest crab is in a 1 1/2 opening shell. My 2 largest take 2-3 months to molt, whereas my smallest usually takes 6 weeks. I think he might have died, but it won't be 3 months until mid-nov so I won't be looking until then.

So typically, it would take them a lot longer the larger they are, but it's not always true. Sometimes they can do a quick molt.

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If you still have the pieces of shell left, squeeze them and see if they crush very easily. If so, then perhaps he has already molted and left his shell behind. If he is still alive and the molt went well, he may be in another shell and and hiding in the substrate.

I had a crab that disappeared one time, no way out of the tank, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out whatever happened to him.
    Keep us posted...