1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

ok. I went to the pet store to buy my cousin a hermies for his birthday and i saw this really dark, thick hermie. he is kind of small and he is really dark redish purple. his legs are really thick and his big claw is rediculously large. i will attempt a pic ASAP... any thoughs as to what it could be?

2. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

The claw makes me think it might be an Indo. Have you looked at the species pictures to compare?

3. crazy4crabs

yeah i checked them out but i still have no clue. [​IMG]
    this is him

4. BL00DYMARY

He's really cute! Try to get a shot of his BP

5. crazy4crabs

its not very good but heres his BP [​IMG]

6. BL00DYMARY

I never owned an Indo before, but the large round claw and the fact that the eyes are not completely rounded, yet not compressed makes me think you have an Indo.

7. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Based on the way he's in his shell and the coloring, I'd say you've got a PP. Also, he looks a lot like my guys, and all I have are PPs. The all purple throws some people off, but I do have a crab that is a completely purple PP that looks just like that.

8. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Yep, that's a purple pincher, with unusual and beautiful coloring. The shape of the eyestalks are the giveaway for me. Indos have perfectly round, beady eyes. PPs' eyes are round-ish but not perfectly round, and they have a "bump" at the base of the eyestalk.

9. crazy4crabs

thanks so much you guys!! now i need a name.. anyone have any suggestions?

10. moire_eel

Do you have other crabs? What are their names? I have a theme that helps me with naming, and my guys are named for tools and tool-related items. Since his color is what caught your attention, you could name him for that somehow. Except the things I'm coming up with don't sound like good names ... raisin, grape juice ... blackberry. Well maybe Blackberry isn't so bad, but people would wonder why you named your crab after an electronic device! Um ... is he very organized, perhaps? LOL.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help. [​IMG] Got a name yet?

11. crazy4crabs

yeah i do have other crabs. all PPs. I have Olivia(changes only into olive colored shells), Carrot(his body is orange and she loves to eat carrots), Speedy(my little bro named him and he is really fast), Cameleon(loves to change shells all the time it is hard to keep track of which shell she is in), Tink(she likes climbing on really high things in the tank, also she wont change out of a blue shell), Pebbles(my mom named her, she is a micro and her shell looks like a pebble), Brusier(also a micro he is a tough little guy in a blueish painted shell but he wont change), Herbie(i adopted her with this name) and then the new guy. I was worried about him because he was taking a "bath" in the fresh water pool this morning without his shell. any reason he would do this?

12. moire_eel

Climbing into the water dish is pretty normal. From time to time crabs need to "top off" their shell water, and climbing into the dish is an easy way to get the job done! A new crab who hasn't had access to a decent water dish (fresh or salt) could spend hours in the dish at first, but if a crab you've had for a while spends a really long time in the water dish, it is usually not a good sign.

It sounds like your crab names are either color-based, or behavior based. If you're not finding a color name that matches, maybe you need to just let him settle in and start doing his thing. If his "thing" is the water dish, you could name him Aquarius ... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.