1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm on a mission!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mckenny [​IMG]
    Just a tidbit of info about the coco fiber climbing wall......I was reading where some have said they get mold on them. If you boil/soak it in salt water, then let it completely air dry, you'll have less of a chance with mold on it. Another suggested that it most likely will mold no matter what.
    Perhaps a net or crochet type of thing might be better in the long run.

I have a climbing wall and I never saw any mold. :)

2. Laughs O Lot

Same with me! At first I followed the instructions wrong and that kind of ruined it. :eek: I use some of it as a wall, and some of it I cut up and put it in the water bowls so they could climb out. I tried to make another peice a log thing but it didn't work.

3. Laughs O Lot

That looks awesome!!!! :D I love the sign!!! It's so funny! LOL. I want it!!!!!

4. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

I got my Attack Crab sign at JR in Burlington, NC. You can also find the signs on Ebay or at uniquepetsigns.com. :)

My sand is just regular Kwikcrete play sand from Lowes.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hmmm. I have that stuff and it's not nearly as nice looking.:eek:

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

You should find some fish tanks at petsmart or petco or u can post it at this awesome website I found it called www.hermitcrabrus.com LOL. But u can swap something for the tank

7. YouveGotCrabs

Yeah I'm trying to swap a 3-story ferret cage that I dumpster-dove (ok, I didn't DIVE per se, someone just left it out next to the dumpster (it wouldn't fit through the sliding door) and I spotted it and wheeled it home. Someone tried to swap me but it turned out they lived an hour and a half away, in a direction that holds nothing else of interest for me. I'm not quite that desperate, yet. If they lived in Raleigh or Durham or something, that would be OK, cause I have friends and family there I could visit at the same time, but this would be totally out of the way.

I have a lead on a 75 gallon former iguana tank. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow! The down side is they want money for it, not ferret cage. :-( Boo! hehe. 75 gallon is about the biggest I can shoehorn into my living room right now. I will still need a stand (or improvised stand) for it. Should be interesting! :-D

8. cococrisp

You can get one at good will or some second hand store. They alwaysh ave tons of coffee tables etc. That's what I have my 75 gallon in.

9. YouveGotCrabs

HURRAY! Today I obtained an awesome (and ridiculously heavy) 75 gallon aquarium from someone on Craigslist! The screen lid it came with doesn't QUITE fit it, but it fits close enough, I reckon if I put a brick or two on it the big crab won't be able to push it up.

I also found these plans: Easy, Inexpensive DIY Aquarium Stand Project for a somewhat fugly but very cheap and probably quite functional aquarium stand. I think I'll make mine with an additional stack of cinderblocks in the middle, as this tank is, again, ridiculously heavy, and I'm sure putting 8 inches of sand in it will only make it ridiculously heavier. :) Don't wanna split any 2x4s and dump a 75 gallon tank on the ground, that would be bad.

I am sooooooooo looking forward to setting up and decorating my new crabitat :-D

Nikki

10. cococrisp

That sounds great! My 75 gallon always feels like it's full of stones. It's SOOOO heavy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.