1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm on a mission!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Great! That air ston sounds awesome except for the fact that my crabs would totally freak out and hide from it lol.:p:eek:

2. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

There will be pictures... Riiiiiight? ; )

3. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

LOL yeah there will be, once I get everything situated. My next move is going to be to add more sand, now that I've got the Jumbo in there, the sand needs to be deeper. I added more climbing stuff (coco fiber climbing wall, fake suction-cup viney plant, and strung the air tubing through a piece of choya wood), and downsized the food dish (substituted a smaller/deeper dish...I was using a Pyrex ashtray as a food dish but they tend to walk through it and scatter the food all over).

I'm still after a 55 gal or thereabouts, especially now that I've got the Jumbo. :) Nothing from work has panned out (yet) but I'm keeping a close watch on Craigslist.

Nikki

4. cococrisp

Cool. I hope you can find something and I can't wait to see your pictures!

5. YouveGotCrabs

Here's my current set up (bad cell phone pic, sorry). I need to pull it apart again and add more sand now that I have the Jumbo. I will prolly do that this weekend.
    [​IMG]

6. cococrisp

It looks great! More sand is a good idea and I'm not sure about that bucket. Does the paint chip or anything? Could they eat it?

7. YouveGotCrabs

The bucket seems to be holding up well so far, it doesn't seem to be peeling and nobody's tried to eat it (yet). I'm not so sure about it myself though, if anything because it takes up a lot of room. Sebastian likes to sit in it sometimes but for the most part it just gets moved around. I may take it out and save it for when I get a bigger tank.

Nikki

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just a tidbit of info about the coco fiber climbing wall......I was reading where some have said they get mold on them. If you boil/soak it in salt water, then let it completely air dry, you'll have less of a chance with mold on it. Another suggested that it most likely will mold no matter what.
    Perhaps a net or crochet type of thing might be better in the long run.

9. crabtacular

crabtacular "Never Molted"

HOW EXCITING! The wait is over and now you can become a crabitat interior decorator (I LOVE that part!!!) Congratulations and be sure to post some pics of the completed 55!

10. cococrisp

I have a coco fiber wall too. I have not seen mold and I've had it for several months. I'll just keep it because it's all stuck to the tank. It would mess the whole tank up but when/if I buy a new one I'll make sure to wash it first.

11. YouveGotCrabs

Good to know. I've been keeping an eye on the climbing wall for that very reason. So far, so good. I picked up something at TJ Maxx the other day called a "sisal bath towel", it's a towel made of sisal (agave fiber). It's supposed to be used for exfoliation in the shower, but it also looked like something the hermies could climb. I have that as an option in case the coco fiber wall doesn't work out. Right now my biggest problem with the wall is keeping it stuck to the back of the tank...this is not working out well thus far. Arthur (the smallest) can climb it but if anyone else tries it tends to pop loose. Ah well. I'll figure it out. :)

Nikki

12. cococrisp

Same! I used these little stick Velcro things and they fell off. The wall stands most of the way up by itself it's just a little tippy. The stickies won't stick to the coco fiber OR the tank. It's fine for now and no one ever gets hurt or stuck.

13. YouveGotCrabs

Yeah the sticky backed velcro is just about useless in the humidity of the tank. :-( The instructions say to staple it to the coco fiber but I dunno if that's a good idea given all the warnings about "no metal". Ah well, I'll figure it out eventually. :)

14. cococrisp

Oh really! I did not even read the directions. :eek:

15. YouveGotCrabs

Mine seems to stick to the coco fiber a lot better than it sticks to the glass, anyway.

16. cococrisp

Yeah. Maybe it's the humidity.

17. YouveGotCrabs

Now I've added more sand, a light (red-colored CFL bulb...it's great, I can watch them when the room is dark and they aren't bothered, and unlike an incandescent bulb it doesn't put out a lot of heat...just enough to keep the cage at a good temp but not so much that it gets overheated. I can run the bulb all day and still touch the metal reflector around it without burning myself. Oh and it doesn't use up a whole lot of electricity either).

Fezzik, Arthur, and Sebastian have dug themselves nice little hidey-holes. Fez was kind enough to dig right down into the bottom right corner of the tank, so I can keep an eye on him through the glass. :-D Hehe.

Oh. I got a great sign for the tank. :-D
    [​IMG]

18. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

LOL OMG I LOVE THE SIGN. xDDDDDD That is awesome. :D 'Beware of attack crab'

19. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

AMAZING! That's really cool... ; ) Nice sign, where'dya' get it?

20. cococrisp

Yeah. It looks great especially the sign!!! Where did you get it?! Did you make it?! I want one! Where did you get your sand too? It looks really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.