1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm on a mission!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

I swear, hermit crabs are like crack. LOL.

I'm on a mission to obtain a 55 (or thereabouts) gallon aquarium so I too can make an awesome crabitat with tons of crabbies. Been watching Craigslist but haven't found anything good yet in my area. I have one possible lead, as a co-worker says his roommate had a 55 that he was keeping a chinese water dragon lizard in, but I guess the lizard died so he might want to get rid of the tank. I also checked Goodwill and Salvation Army today, there weren't any tanks bigger than a 10 gallon but there was some sturdy furniture that might make a good improvised aquarium stand. The guy at the Salvation Army said to keep checking back, they do get big aquariums every so often.

Eileen is somewhat less shy now, I think she's figuring out that if it was my intent to abuse and/or eat her, I would've probably done so by now. She's still fairly timid but doesn't spend all her time cowering in the corner all squinched into her shell anymore...she roams the cage now. She still tips over every so often due to her missing legs. Hopefully once I've got a bigger crabitat (this one is a bit crowded) with deeper sand she'll feel like molting. I haven't seen any gel limbs yet but I'm hopeful.

Fezzik is a pretty big and nifty crab, I think he's my biggest crab but it's kinda hard to tell due to Eileen squinching up when I pick her up, and due to those missing legs. I think she is a close second. Fez is in a shell that is a fair bit too small for him. I tried ordering him a really nice polished Turbo shell but it was way too big. I'm saving it in the hope that he'll grow into it, lol. I've been scoping out Petsmart and our local pet store, and even Walmart and Michaels for Fezzik-sized shells but haven't found much. Just ordered a couple shells from Naples though, so hopefully one of them will work. Poor Fezzik can hardly get his head pulled into the shell, and none of his walking legs.

Sebastian has had no buyers remorse over the Petholatus shell I got him a couple weeks ago, and it looks really nice on him. He and Arthur spend a lot of time hanging out together on the side of the cage.

I'm totally itchin' to get a 55 gallon crabitat set up, and then go down to the beach and go "crabbing" at the stores. :-D

2. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

Sounds like a good mission to me!

Good luck, keep us posted!

:)

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You're going to love a 55 gallon. Just be patient and something will come along. It took me three months to find my 75 gallon, partly due to a lack of postings on Craig's list, etc., and the conditions of the tanks I went to check out. Take a tape measure with you. Some truly don't know what they have, and others will try to pull a fast one. Also, wait and get one that isn't beat up and a mess...they are out there at very reasonable prices. I walked away three times because they weren't as advertised.

Keep in mind also the height of the tank--how tall you are--and if you can reach into the tank comfortably. Aquarium stands, especially the wooden ones are nice, but if you put the tank on the stand and can't reach inside the tank easily, you may want to think of using something else, as you mentioned.

I have a very heavy coffee table that my 75 sits on. Someone was trashing it because they got new furniture. It's in perfect condition and the perfect height with the tank added on top.

Good luck!:)

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You should try craigslist. I'll look for you later because I know your location. I was looking for a 55 and got a 75 instead. Than I was looking for a second tank to have active as well, 55 gallon, but I got an 120 gallon one!
    Good Luck.

5. YouveGotCrabs

I've been watching Craigslist too but haven't found anything yet. I think a 55 is about the biggest I could fit in my apartment right now. I wish I had room for a 120 gallon! I have a nifty 30 gallon breeder tank at my parents' house I wish I could use, but it's only about 12 inches tall and by the time I put 6 inches of sand in it, them crabbies would be right up next to the lights and heat bulb! No good!

Off I go to scour Craigslist....

Nikki

6. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

Keep waiting, something will happen!

:)

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Great mission! :D Good luck with craigslist! I had the same thing happen to me that Mckenny was talking about. I found a 35 gallon on there, but after I bought it and got home, I realized it was only a 20 gallon! I brought my tape measure, but I forgot my calculator, so I couldn't really tell. :(

8. cococrisp

You could try the pet store. SOmetimes they have 1$ per gallon sales. "All living things" tanks are pretty cheap. How much are you spending ro looking at spending? You could try ebay. There are some pretty good deals if you find one near you.

9. Jessafall

Jessafall "Preparing For First Molt"

I was lucky on craigslist. i posted saying i'll take cracked fish tanks at a discount price. well I got a response, i'm the proud owner of a 20L tank with a small 4 inch length crack but the tank is in great shape otherwise and I got that for $10!! ofcourse I would like a bigger tank but the 20L is perfect for the teeny and micro's i'm going to house!

10. YouveGotCrabs

YAY! Looks like I'm going to get my co-worker's roommate's late water dragon's tank for $25. :-D Now I need a stand, but a quick trip to Salvation Army or the Habitat ReStore ought to yield something serviceable, like a coffee table or TV stand. I hope it really is a 55, hehe, but even if it's not, as long as it's reasonably big it'll do. :) I can hardly wait, hehehehe. I pick it up tomorrow. WOOT! it's crabitat time!

11. cococrisp

What are the measurement? It sounds great! Yep, coffee tables and stuff are always hanging out around second hand stores. You should get the measurements and find out how big a table you need. Water dragons do grow to be pretty darn big so the chances it's large are good. I don't know much about dragons but that's what I've heard.
    Good Luck decorating.;)

12. Laughs O Lot

Awesome!! :D

13. cococrisp

Have you gotten it yet?

14. YouveGotCrabs

Not yet...still hopeful though! I now have two potential leads at work. The guy that used to have the water dragon definitely wants to sell me the tank for like $25, but apparently someone else he knows is currently holding the tank for him and he's had trouble getting up with the guy. Furthermore, my co-worker who is roommates with him is off all this coming week! So I'm keeping an eye out. One of my other co-workers thinks he might be able to get ahold of a tank for me. And tomorrow I'll be visiting my parents, who have a lot of empty aquariums (mostly 10 gal though), but my brother thinks there's a 29Tall in the basement with a stand that's not being used. I'd rather have a 55 of course, but I'd settle for a 29T. ;-)

Nikki

15. Laughs O Lot

Cool! :D I hope you get one of them soon!

16. cococrisp

Goodness. Do you work at a zoo?:) Everyone at your work seems to have tanks for sale. Lucky you. Or do you just know a ton of people? :)You seem to be finding every tank in the universe! :D
    Good Luck. I'm sure you'll find something great for your crabs.;)

17. YouveGotCrabs

I couldn't wait anymore so I visited my mom and commandeered that 29T :-D It doesn't have a top yet, so I only put Eileen and Fezzik in it so far...Eileen can't really climb because she's missing legs and Fez is probably way too big/heavy (only thing they could climb out with so far is the silicone sealant). Sebastian and Arthur MIGHT be too big, but I'm not taking chances. I'm still holding out for a 55, but this'll do for now. ;-)

Nikki

18. cococrisp

You can get a cheap piece of plexiglas at Lowes or home deopt for $7 or so. It would be more for something that can hold lights but for humidity it's fine.

19. YouveGotCrabs

I got a glass aquarium lid today for about $20 at Petsmart. Sebastian and Arthur went in today. Everyone seems good, except Arthur is off by himself digging a hole...he was a bit upset about being taken out of the old cage, he might be de-stressing. Sebastian in particular is having a blast. He seems fascinated by the "jacuzzi" (i ran an airstone down into the fresh water bowl, so it bubbles). He's also been climbing on the rocks and generally exploring. Fez and Eileen are hanging out under the rock cave I built for them, chillin'. It's good to be a crab.

Nikki

20. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Congrats on your "new digs". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.