1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new and CONFUSED!!!!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by jjfiedorczyk, Aug 24, 2008.

1. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK again- YES they can go into a smaller shell to molt as when they have a bigger shell they can get it packed with sand, This is far from the normal protocol but its definately happened to me more than a handful of times- then they molt- come up and can take a bigger shell at that point.

2. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

Great...ok...question number five million.....I now have mold!  I just read "I'm am new and moldy" and that is talking about her caes and wood and stuff.  All of mine are ok...it's my ground coconut substrate that they crawl all over that is moldy and nasty!  I just pu it in under 2 weeks ago!  I re-hydrated it and the guy at my pet store said put it in moist.  So...I did?  Anyone got any comments?  Should I use sand instead? :think:  :thanks:

3. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

:eeeek: I never have that problem with my substrate.  Mine is EE also... Did you read the article on here about overmoistening the sand?  You should check that one out.  You should be scooping out the hermies poo and also their uneaten food bcause that will develop mold fuzzies with in a day or two and then will spread all over the tat.  Other than that I'd change the substrate again.  Be sure not to soak it through and through.

4. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Did you decompress it using dechlorinated salt water? The salt will kill off any spores in the fiber.

Yes, you do put it in wet, but not soaking wet. Squeeze out as much water as you can in your hand, then put it in.

5. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

I did not decompress the coconut substrate with salt water...just bottled water. I will have to try that! And I didn't squeeze out the excess moisture either!  :BangHead: As far as picking up the poo... :hermzpoo: I am trying but the substrate is the same color as the poo!  Would sand just be better all around? See...and I forgot to say this about the mold...I don't even have the lid on the tank yet!  I am having a hard time finding one (Walmart was out of them when I purchased the tank) So, this mold is forming without all the humidity built up under the lid! (my house doesn't feel extremely humid either!)Hmmm.... :think:  it's all a mystery!

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

personally I never use just EE unless I make a "pit" or something but I will layer it- or mix it- I switch around- I have bad hands so I cant squeeze the water out like I used to- plus its more work than needed so I under water the EE and it comes out just right- whatever is too dry I just water that again and that way I am not wasting my time squeezing water out and I dont use salt water and have not had mold issues ever. Just my input  :froggz: