1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new and CONFUSED!!!!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by jjfiedorczyk, Aug 24, 2008.

1. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

:think:  I'm so confused!  I am getting some seriously conflicting info from too many internet sources!  We just returned from Myrtle Beach, S.C. with a sunburn and 2 purple pinchers (?)and they are very cool!  I just don't know what the heck to do now!  I still have them in the little (med sized) habitat I brought them home in and are they happy?  I DUNNO!  :dontknow:The girl at the shop gave me some info but...left out a ton of stuff :lies1:...like...salt water? bugs? 3 inches or more of sand? heaters? guages? I AM OVERWHELMED!  :scream: I did give them some peaches and banana...but how much? Do I change feeding and water dishes every day..even if they don't touch them?  How often do I change the sand? And the whole molting thing blows my mind! :crabaddict:THey dissappear for months under the sand?  How do you change the sand then?  :hahahaha:  I am sorry!  I am not nearly this crazy...but honestly...I have a ton of questions and the internet can be very UNHELPFUL at times!  This website looks like my best hope! You all seem so willing to help...can you help me?

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

We are here to help. Yes they need salt water - aquarium salt in dechorinated water. Yes you need substrate twice as deep as your biggest hermie shell. If they have dug down.... don't dig them up and hold off cleaning the tank.

They eat very little - they do not eat like a cat or dog. 1/4 teaspoon each unless they haven't eating in a few days.

Yep - hermies need 75%/75° humidity/Temperature average. Only gauges will help keep that constant.

Deep breath... you will do fine. You are at the right place.

3. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

You don't have to change the sand every month either.  If they disappear underneath the sand that's okay.  Don't dig them up under any circumstanses unless you're advised to.  Read thru old posts here.  Try looking at the site: www.hermit-crabs.com That's where I first learned to take care of crabs. 

4. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

oh my gosh, you all are so nice and helpful!  What about bathing them? Someone said 5 mins under the water?  Won't they drown? The girl at the shop said they will drown if put in water longer than a "dunk".  (I now don't like the girl at the shop!!)  And how often for the baths? Oh, Also...we bought 2 painted shells for them to move in to...bad idea? good idea?  Actually, last night after I posted my chat, I saw my 2 little guys out roaming the crabitat.  They seemed ok.  I am going to get them a tank today and new things to go in it.  By the way, my sons named the crabs SPORTY and HERBERT. (hahaha-those names made my husband and I laugh!) Thanks for responding!  I may need to pick your brains alot more! =)

5. 5kittens

:whaaaat: No baths at all! 5 min? under water? You'll have dead hermies in 1/2 that time.  When you first get them you should gibe them a quick dunk.  One min. and no more.  After that you could give them some quick spritzes of water with a mister once a day or occasionally.  Just keep the humidity around 72 - 80 percent humidity.  What if you don't have that high humidity?  Just boil some water and put it in a large cup that you don't mind if it gets in the crab tank.  Just set it in the tank on a level surface and be sure that they don't tip it over.  I've been trying it for quite a while and they don't fall in.  To be on the safe side, put a mesh screen on top of the cup. Close the lid to the tat, put a blanket over it if its a screen lid.  leave some air spaces in the blanket or sheet.  They get very active during that humidity booster time.  About the painted shells, they are harmful to the crabs.  You need to get natural shells that have openings 1/4 inch larger than the shells openings they are currently in.  Try getting natural shells from, www.thecrabbagepatch.com or www.naplesseashellcompany.com  :madhouse:

6. 5kittens

Also when you get new substrate, just be sure it's twice as deep as your largest crab so they can burrow in it.  Get the substrate to sand castle consistancy and use something like playsand or Eco earth which is compressed coco fiber.  Feed them all natural foods like what you'd find on Vicki's store.  :straw:

7. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

HELLO!  That's exactly what I was thinking about the 5 mins underwater!!!!!!!  I just read that in one of these other posts and I thought "WHAT THE HECK???"  Ok...I went to the store and got a 1o gallon tank and the coconut fiber substrate.  I also got a hidding cave thing that they can also climb and.  I asked the pet shop owner about the salt water and he looked at me like I was nuts and said to "believe him because all his crabs are doing fine"  :aargh: This is just what is frustrating me!  Too much different info!  But...He didn't even have the salt so...I saw some at Wal-mart but it said it was salt for fish tanks...is that the same?

8. 5kittens

get a salt brand like instant ocean.  You also need to get a water dechlorinator.  Something basic without slime coat would be fine.  :yes2: :chuckle:

9. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

Welp, I just got the guys in their new 10 gallon tank and they seem pretty happy!  The shy one who hasn't hardly peeked out of his shell at all has been wnadering around checking everything out. :spunky:  I got the coconut substrate, a cave to hide in, a better water dish and at this point, bottled water.  I gave them a quick "dunk" bath and that really perked them up!  :hermez2:  I see a light of hope  at the end of the tunnel.... :cheer: :twirl:

10. WizKidsMom

There are times that we want to slap those pet store people silly    :slapfight:
    :straw:  Glad you are on the right track !

11. 5kittens

:lies1: J/K
    And there are also those checkout people at the grocery store that you want' to slap to.  :bat: One time I was in the grocery store and the checkout lady would bag your grocery's and then THROW them at your cart.  :hermez: I nearly pounced on her, honestly.  :straw: Anyway, jjfiedorczyk I'm glad the crabs are doing so well.  Keep us updated.  :bye:

12. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

OH MY GOSH WIZKIDSMOM!!! I just saw the names of  your crabs!  YOU ARE A HARRY POTTER FAN!!!!  MMEEE TOOOO!  :dork2: (My husband doesn't share in my dorky mini-obsession for the HP movies.  I go see them all alone =( Actually< i like it that way!  He doesn't distract me with silly questions like..."which one is Harry Potter?" I kid you not...he asked that once...GOOFBALL! =)) Anyway, those names are awesome!  And so are the movies!  Can't wait for the next one! :rockz:

13. WizKidsMom

Harry fan, yep that's me.  :spunky: My hubby came with me to see the first couple of movies...until he hurt his back and now can not sit in those seats. We even have the collection of DVDs, buy them as soon as they come out.  :hermez2:

14. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

My family is a HP fan too  :sunny: We have all 7 books and all the movies  :yes2:

We have a Harry, Weasley, and a Hermione crab  :hermzpoo:

Thats where I got the idea for my screen name from as well! LilHermieOnes...it just happend to fit in with hermit crabs....during an interview after the first HP book, Rowling said that a lot of people were pronouncing Hermione's name wrong, some were pronouncing it Hermi One....hence the name LilHermieOnes  :straw:

We just started a Novel Study of The Sorcerer's Stone in our homeschool...me and my daughter are enjoying our study :straw:

Congratulations on your new hermie family! :sunny:

15. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

Hello It is good to see another crabber.

The bathing thing I usually bath hte crabs every other month. All it is is Dechlorinated water in a tupperware bowl. All you really need is enough to submerge them under no more. Put them in upside down and let them flip them selfs over. Leave them in 30 sec to a min and pull them out. Put them in another tupperware bowl with a pappertowel in the bottom of it and thats it. For a while I was using a dechlorinator that I got from petco but I later found out that it is not good. It had dies and other chemicals in it that I should not have around them. I was suggested to use API tapwater conditioner. 1 drop per gallon it will last forever lol. As for the salt I use Instant ocean. 1 tsp per 2 cups.

I have been buying most of the food from vickys store and my crabs love it. I will get stuff like the starter kits, and grab bags. They usually come with enough food for a while. Throw a bit of it all in a jar mix it up and they will love it.

I use a sand EE mix for the substraite. Mix about 30% sand and EE together in the bottom and it works great. I havnt had any humidity issues in a while. I mist every 3 days and it keeps the humidity up fine. I would suggest if you are going to use the EE / coconut fiber sub that you use salt water. It will help prevent mold.

I personally do not like the painted shells. I will go out of my way to find good natural shells and the crabs usually go fo those rite away.

Crabs like to climb. I have fake plants, climbing wood, and I bought a net from Walmart cut a bit off boiled it like 5 times then hung it to dry. Using some suction cup hooks (bought at walmart..... Not a good idea to boil them, just dunk them) I hung it from the back of the tat and they LOVE climbing on it.

You will want to have a little more of a hiddy spot to keep them happy, but you also want to have enough room for them to move around.

You want to clean everything before you put it in the tat. Boil what you think will survive, or soak and bake some things like coconut huts and choya wood.

There used to be a hermit crab care sheet on this page a while ago but I havnt looked for it in a while. It has some really good info in it. If you can find it it will really help you. If not I think I have a copy of it on my computer.

16. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

HELLO!!!!!!!!!  :bat:

5 min does NOT kill your crabs and its for the salt bath to see if they have mites- we dont advocate baths in general.

Come on peeps you know the deal- dont give a newbie bad info - my work is never done is it?  :chuckle:

17. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:slapfight:

18. jjfiedorczyk

jjfiedorczyk Guest

Hello! :hula:  All of this info is just awesome!  Thanks so very much!  I have yet another question...will a crab ever try to get into a smaller shell?

19. Nate

Nate "First Molt, A Success"

I have read that they will usually get in to a smaller shell if the current shell is to big, or they are about to molt. They will do this because after they molt they are smaller for a little while. Personally I have not seen this. All of my crabs actually go in to bigger shells before a molt.

20. 5kittens

Umm, actually they go into bigger shells premolt.  It's kinda like when you have a swollen foot you need bigger shoes.  So does a crab when they get all swollen with fluids necessary for molting.