1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Im having a hard time identifying my Hermie

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by LitFoxy, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LitFoxy

LitFoxy Hi, I'm New Here!

I have looked at the charts and my crab doesnt seem to fit any of them

Here is a picture! I want to know the specie of the one in the spotted shell. His pincher is not purple its just the sand that sticks on his claw after he goes in the water.

[​IMG]

2. ZanZan

ZanZan (Micro Crab)

I really think you should take the sand out.. if the color comes out.. it's dyed >_< I don't think those stuff is good for them... You can get a 50lb bag of play sand for less than $4 dollar.

If i can see his claw maybe I can tell them apart, the one whos hiding is PPs.

Sand needs to be at least 4 inches deep for your size of crabbie. They can molt or dig around.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

They are both PP's.......they come in many shades--very cute!

4. LitFoxy

LitFoxy Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeah I didnt like that sand for that reason because I noticed how it would dye. That was the sand that the person at the mall sold my boyfriend when he first got them for me, but that sand is long gone. Now I keep half of the tank filled with Eco Earth and half sand.

Thanx for looking out:D

5. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

:eek: Not only that, get rid of the commercial food there in the corner

6. hello_hammerheads

hello_hammerheads "First Molt, A Success"

you def. should...

7. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

taking a look at the crabbie it appears to be a purple pincher i have a PP that looks almost the same. Just to inform you commercial foods have byproducts in them though i did find one that doesnt and my crabbies really like it. By products can really harm your crabs and cause problems aswells as there addicting for your crabs i would get your crabbies off of that asap!

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

It may not be listed on the ingredients on the bottle as companies don't have to list every ingredient, but it is more then likely in there. So far to date, there isnt a safe commercial hermit crab food sold in stores.

9. Itsy

there like small discs with a mix of honey olive oil shrimp, and about 20 other natrual ingredients

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

You're missing what I was trying to get across. It may list 20 ingredients, but theres ones that are left out.

For more information check the Epicurean website about commercial foods.

11. Itsy

Ok now i understand that they may not be listing all that they are putting into the food. I got it because i seen that it had alot of stuff in it that we havent been able to supply our crabs with like protien oils and what not. Would it be ok in small amounts??? once or twice a week just so that there getting some of what they need??

12. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

If you care about the crabs nutrition, go natural, and go organic. Crabs don't have little pressed discs of food in the wild. They have real items to eat, not ones that have added toxic chemicals to keep them smelling fresh or to discourage discoloration. There are even certain commercial foods that are nutritionally depleted, but contain pheromones to trick the crabs into eating them. All the chemicals that are added aren't always listed on the food, and they will, over time, kill your crab.

Every single thing they have added to commerical foods you can find in natural or even orgainic form if your lucky.

epicureanhermit.com - Home has lists to help get you started.
    Hermit Crab Addiction - Welcome To The Hermit Crab Addiction has just about all of those items.

You say,
    Thats you! Most of us have replaced the junk in commerical food with the same ingredients, but ours being wholesome, nutritionally complete and all natural.

13. Itsy

Ok ill stick with what i was feeding them before its a crab mix my friend mixes with a whole bunch of stuf the only thing i dont like in it is the crab pellets so i take them out. And as treats i feed them dehydrated fruits n veggies that way its harder for it to mold and my crabbies really seem to like it. They also like cucumber, and lettuce.

14. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Just remember that a hermit crab is hardwired to eat something different each meal. There have been scientific field studies done. They will actually refuse a food to search for something they havent eaten in the past meal or two.

Also hermit crabs olfactory sensors (sense of smell) are very close to that of a carrion fly. They are actually drawn to decomposing food items. It explains why alot of crabbers state that their crabs go after bad smelling foods. I feed some frozen then thawed foods, some fresh and some dehydrated.

15. Itsy

Hey do you think they will eat dried mealworms???

16. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yes they will eat those. I sell them, but they give me the willies...yuck:p

17. Itsy

Are the dried out mealworms ok for them??

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

I just replied to your post about the mealworms. Yes they will eat them and yes they are ok for them.

19. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

That is very interesting, and it explains a lot. Something I did not know.

20. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

I know its off the food subject now but how big is the hermie in the spotted shell? I have one that looked just like that and I started buying food from Vicki's site. After her last molt she came up bright orange with a little darker orange stripes around the joints. She's so cute but I remember having the same problem trying to ID what species she is when she was so light like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.