1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm getting worried..

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Hermies4Life, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

I read all of this posts about how crabs moult like all the time and i was wondering if there was possibly aything wrong with my tat that would make them not moult?

Temp/Humidity: Temp:70 F Hum: around 80
    Substrate: Half playsand (REALLY HIGH) half eacoearth (deep enough to cover biggest crab
    Size of tank: 35 gallons
    Number of hermies: 5
    I offer fresh and salt water,i feed them organic foods along with helthy commercial foods(on occasion)
    I have many hideys and fun toys but everyone has been sorta inactive latley.

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

What size are your crabs? Tiny crabs molt much more often than big ones (I have a bunch of tinies that molt every other month or so, whereas the big ones can go 6 months to a year in between).

Your temp is a little on the low side - crabs are generally happiest with the temp somewhere between 75 and 78 or so on the warm side. The cooler the tank is, the less the crabs will be active and the more likely they are to go dormant.

What brands of water dechlorinator and salt do you use? Not all of these are created equally, and some of the ones, especially the ones that are marketed for hermit crabs, are actually crab poison.

What are you feeding them on the average day? Are they getting meats, calcium, fruit, veggies, cellulose, and maybe even the occasional nut? If not, they may not have enough of the right nutrients to molt. The more often I feed shrimp with the tails (sauteed in olive oil with some lime juice on them; I splurged and made a bunch of these and froze them for future uses, and I've seriously been using them around once every week or every two weeks for almost a year now with a TON left), the more often it seems my guys dig down. Maybe you should buy them some shrimp and see if it inspires them to go down too?

3. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Lol, you're worried that they're not molting? My hermit crabsd are always underground, and I never see them! I moved 3 out of 5 to the 20 gallon, but 2 are still in the 10 gallon one and I'm getting so frustrated because I want to use the 10 gallon for a fish tank as soon as they get out!

Also, I wouldn't worry. One question though, ...
    Ah, shoot. I forgot what the question was while I was doing that rant.:eek: I'll post again if I remember. sorry

4. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

its ok lol and emma
    i use oceanic salt water and i use zoomed dechlorinator.
    I try to feed them what they need but im still getting in the habit of hermie feeding so its a little hard and i have shrimp but it is dried shimp.I put it in their tank yestrday and they like LOVED it.
    I have maybe 1 or two tinnies and the rest are small and medium.
    Well,Munster has been diggin down but I dont think that hes going to moult but then again i dont know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.