1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm getting worried!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kaw0521, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaw0521

kaw0521 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey all...I've got two crabs down in the sand and I ASSUME doing the molt thing. One went under on 3/29 the next on 4/9. I'm really starting to worry if everything is okay and their tank mate seems lonely. For history, the one that went down on 3/29 I'd had for 8 months with no molt and is a bit smaller than a quarter. The other surface molted around 3/1 and is a bit larger than a quarter. It just seems like it's been way too long and I know it can take time but I'm just worried.

2. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

it is ok trust me do not dig them up. i was in the same situation twice. and we had 2 survivors out of 2!~i didnt see or hear movement either thats why i wa so worried!

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I know somebody that had a small crab who was down molting for three months! It was successful and the hermie is doing great! You should never dig a crab up unless it is an emergency. Good luck with your molters! :)

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Usually little ones take less then a month to molt. The bigger ones take longer. Take your time. Now that you brought it up I think I have a little one that has been down a little over a month. I just let them be. Dont worry unless you smell a fishy smell. If you smell a fishy smell... Then worry.

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Actually, sometimes the fishy smell is okay. It's the dead fish smell that one doesn't want to smell.

As everyone has said, don't worry, they are probably fine. Just keep the water and food fresh for them so when they come up they have some good healthy food and fresh water to drink. Make sure you've got something like freeze dried shrimp or krill on hand (they need the calcium, chitin and protein those things can add) as well as maybe some dried mealworms, along with fresh fruits and veggies to help give them a little energy. A little honey now and again as a treat is a great energy boost, as well as fresh coconut, which they love.
    Put on those pacing slippers, they'll be up eventually, in their own time, no matter how soon we'd like to see them!
    I know how you feel about your one crab that's up being lonely. Chances are, he will decide to pop down to molt when the other two come up, if he's anything like my crabs have been! Silly crabs.

6. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

with sebasian i know know what fishy means.......sigh.......i wish i didnt.

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Kaw, best to keep it in one thread to avoid confusion :)

It's okay, sometimes they surface molt and we don't know why. I know of a woman who has had her crabs 9 years, has over 80 crabs, and they all tend to surface molt, nobody seems to know why. Maybe they feel completely safe? Who knows.

Just put a cocohut over your surface molter, put in some nice fresh water and food, and leave him be, he will probably be okay. :) He will need some time to recover, maybe a week or two. Just keep everything fresh.

These crabs just like to worry the heck out of us don't they!

8. kaw0521

kaw0521 Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: I'm getting worried! - UPDATE

Still no sign of the molters who went down 3/29 and 4/9. I have a third who went down three weeks ago that I'm not so worried about, but the other two....WOW this is either taking a really long time or something is wrong. What do you think? Thanks!!!

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Do they semll bad or anything? Is you temp and humdity all right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.