1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IM EXSTATIC

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Pharmoc, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

MY BIG FELLA HAS MOLTED IM SO CONFUSED THO COZ HE NEVER BURIED HIMSELF DOWN HE JUST SET UP BEHIND A PIECE OF DRIFT WOOD MY LITTLE BRO WENT TO PICK HIM UP COZ HE HASNT MOVED ALL DAY AND HE SCREAMED THINKING HE WAS DEAD THE COMPLETE EXO SKELETON IS OUTSIDE THE SHELL HE IS ALL PINKY LOOKIN AND HE HAS BEEN NIBBLING AWAY AT IT TOO.
    iM ALL EXCITED THE CRABS I THOUGHT WERE GOING TO MOULT HAVNT DONE A SAUSAGE , SHOULD I LEAVE HIM WHERE HE IS ???? HE SEEMS HAPPY THERE AND ALL THE OTHER CRABS ARE A LOT SMALLER AND THEVE NOT GONE NEAR HIM .

OOOOH IM SO EXCITED IF ONLY YOU COULD SEE THE GRIN ON MY FACE

2. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

CONGRATS!!!
    I remember how I felt when my crab molted the first time. I felt like my cat had kittens. I've never had a crab molt topside thou. Congrats again

3. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I think it'd be a good idea to separate him from the other crabs until he has his strength back. A piece of plastic or plexiglass would make a nice barrier.
    Congrats on the molt.

4. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

ok here is Mr C's exoskeleton
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My cat Jurgen Hanz just wanted to have his pic taken he is a bit of a poser

[​IMG]

Here he is after , he is in a seperate part of the tank now recoopertating poor little git gave me the fright of my life .

[​IMG]

And Cecile my tarantula.
    He loves his grotty little den !

5. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

ok those pics are in a bit of mish mash order but you get the drift .

Should i be lookin out for my other crabs moulting and not burying themselves down .
    I put eco earth in made a nice seperate part of the tank lovley and deep then he goes and does it topside.
    I think he is on a wind up !

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I posted a reply under "general gossip" about topside molting -- in short, your conditions may be fine, but when something like a topside molt happens it never hurts to double-check. Since you added deeper substrate so recently, it may be that your crab hadn't gotten used to it being there yet. I had a topside molt last month (my first!) and I think it was because I use sand, but in the wild Cavs (which is the species the topside molter is) would never molt in sand. But now my Cavs seem to have gotten sand figured out, and several of them are buried and presumably molting in my main tank. But for the first several weeks, they didn't dig in it at all.

7. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Just an update my moulter is doing absolutley fine , he is munching his way thru his exo and has pretty much finished it all off only the big claw and feet parts left now.
    He is looking more sexier than ever and is gaining his strength everyday .
    I feel fortunate that everythign has gone so well.

8. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Cool...I've never had the "privilege" of getting to see one of my crabs exos before. And nice cat.

9. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Here is My moulter just some 2 weeks from begginging to end im so happy over his progress he is now more active than ever and tucking into his dinner.
    He looks dull and not so shiny but im guessing that will improve in time.
    I was surprised he was up and about as much as he was .
    [​IMG]

10. crazeecrabber103

Your big guy looks great! I think naturally oily foods like nuts help keep your hermies' exo shiny but I'm really not sure. Hopefully he'll get his 'sheen' back soon.[​IMG]

11. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

One of my crabs babuska is dead , found him this morning i dont know what happened he was out of his shell and he is all naked now his eyestalks have shriveled n dried and so has his abdomen

[​IMG]

im gutted

12. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]

Any idea's where ive gone wrong?
    They have fresh food water and salt water humidity and temperature are spot on .
    I dont know whats happened to him !

13. crazeecrabber103

I am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]
    If you haven't had him for very long, stress is the most likely cause of death. I don't know what would have made him shrivel up like that...I'm sorry but I'm really just clueless.

14. moire_eel

I'm sorry about your loss ... I lost one this week too. Unfortunately, deaths relatively soon after purchase are not uncommon, hence the term "Post Purchase Stress". It's presumed that in these cases either stress or poor treatment by the distributor or possibly the pet store contributed to the death, but it's hard to know for sure. I've had crabs die that had shrunken, dehydrated abdomens, too, and almost always the crab had not appeared to move from the same spot for days or weeks beforhand, so presumably it was not keeping itself hydrated because it didn't feel well enough to do so.

15. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

Thankyou for your comments , when i got in from work last night i checked on the hermies an 3 of them have buried themselves down deep in the sand i was worried because i couldnt find them .
    Are they moulting , i think they must feel much more comfortable with the sand as apposed to the earth i had in before its only been in there a day and theve all dissapeared .
    I only have 2 crabs on the surface now lol.
    im just gonna keep the sand moist maintain the humidty and temperature and hope for the best , i hope there not down there long .

16. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

Depending on how long you've had your hermies, this could be a sign of two things (both positive!) If they're a recent purchase, chances are they're hunkering down to destress. This could easily take 1-3 weeks. If indeed they have gone down for a moult, they should be put in iso to avoid cannibalism from others. Depending on the size of the hermie, the smaller ones can often do a full, successful moult (remember to let them eat their cast-off exo for nutrition!) in 2 wks. - my larger hermies may take up to 3 mos.
    So, I guess the best advice is to give them all the time they need, DO NOT dig them up. Your mention of the substrate concerns me, as sand is prone to collapsing on a newly moulted hermie and does not provide the consistent moisture required. I use a combination of sand and eco-earth, which retains moisture and is light and easy for the hermie to burrow in/out of. Also, be sure to keep both water supplies and lots of food available, as well as a variety of shells per hermie. The extra work of keeping several iso's supplied is worth it - I had up to 9 separate iso's at one time, and all did well!
    Best of luck, and keep me advised. [​IMG]

17. moire_eel

I agree that burying is generally a healthy sign. Whether it's to molt or de-stress, it means that the crab is taking steps toward its own survival.

As someone who uses sand as a substrate, I'm surprised to hear that you're concerned about it, hermom. I've found it makes for great burrowing. The sand should of course be damp, but it's not hard to achieve and maintain the proper moisture content, and I've had more successful molts than I can count in it. I fact have had problems with eco earth, because when I have used it, it has tended to develop mold easily -- due in part I'm sure, to the warm, humid climate I live in. I think that both substrates are valid choices, and each has its benefits and drawbacks.

18. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

First of all, I'm pleased to have your support of hermies burying being necessary.
    Secondly, you have hit the nail right on the head in mentioning where you live and your reasons for concerns with eco-earth and a lot of other hermie variations in needs with regards to climate, etc. I've noticed some sort of 'pin location' on log-on, but don't know if it relates to where you live.
    Meanwhile, wish me luck with my new colony that came home today. Had my choice of 20 newly-arrived, and had to call it quits after 10. Most are larger than golf-balls, so just de-stressing in iso now - have gone through 3 brackish dishes, 6 oz. rev. osmosis, and 4 oz. of home-made recipe. Could be a long night!
    Regards,
    hermom

19. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

The sand seems to be holding up really well , its keeping its moisture and im regularly misting it , its amazing really as there all in big holes and they can move around easily in the sand i spotted 1 hermie "Dom" who had burrowed down near the glass and he is in a huge den , and can move freely it reassured me and put my mind at rest that they will be ok all going well.

Advice taken and altho i now only have 2 hermies on the surface there eating like troopers and they cant seem to get enough of grapes they go mad i even caught them fighting over half a grape lol.

Amazing stuff ive caught ther "hermit crab" bug badly.

20. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

I personally love using sand. My crabbies love it. I have had 3 successfull molts in 3 months in it. It is great to keep my humidity level at where it should be etc.. It is also very inexpensive.
    I just had my third one come up two days ago. Yipeee I can clean the tank now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.