1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iim new!!! (: ii need some tiips!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by xCuddleBearx, May 6, 2011.

1. xCuddleBearx

xCuddleBearx Hi, I'm New Here!

:pinch:

Im not really sure if ive done this  post right...lol but anyways i got one more thing to ask.  Can yall put pictures of ur hermit homes on here so i can get some ideas!? Right now i have a 10 gallon n its pretty plan  :sad5: ...im planin to get a 30 gallon....SOON I HOPE...

I LOVE MY HERMITS  :wub:

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I have 1 hermit baby that doesnt do hardly anything ever....is she sick?
    If you have just one, get at least another. Hermit crabs are meant to be in groups. In the wild they're in really large groups. I started out with 2, I have 3 now and I'm getting 2 more soon.
    Is the humidity around 70% and the temp around the same?
    Do you have things for it to climb?
    Is the level of sand or coconut fiber an inch above your crabs height?
    Did you just buy her? She might have post purchase stress.

At the Hermit Crab Addiction Store....wat is your crabs favorite?
    My crabs like the powdered honey, shrimp and corn puffs

how many crabs can you have from a 10....20....30 gallon tank?
    are under tank heaters safe?
    3 gallons per crab. So 3 in a 10, 6 in a 20 and 9in a 30.
    I've never used an under heater but I'll assume they're safe since others use em and we have one that came in our lizards tank.

can hermit crabs eat cooked eggs?
    scramble them, don't burn them. nothing added.
    Take the shells and put it in their cage. My crabs LOVE scrambled eggs so I'm sure yours will too. Plus the egg is great protein and the shell adds calcium for them to nom on.

If you look under contests, you'll see some tanks. Some people have pics in their tanks in the pictures area =] I'll have a picture of my new tank up in a couple days.

3. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

temp should be higher than 70, so should the humidity. 78-80 would be much more adequate.. Also depending on their size and tank setup your crab per gallon can change a lot. if they are tiny you could have more than 1 per 3 gallon. If you have second levels, things to climb on, again, you could have more per gallon. Like katz said, if you've just bought it, it will be stressed out for a bit.

For protein, I buy mealworms, waxworms, superworms, some crickets at my local pet store. Sometimes I feed them live with some tongs, they are voracious little buggers when given the chance. Unseasoned meats are good too.

Give us a better idea of your setup and we'll be able to help you out more efficiently :)

:madhouse:

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

you can cook eggs in the microwave, just scramble them before hand, zap a few seconds and repeat til done or cook them in olive oil. My crabs love them in oil. I air pop, pop corn & have popped it in olive oil to.

your best bet is if you just bought your little crab, get your tank set up and just offer them the waters & healthy foods loaded with proteins, raw honey, cuttle bone found in bird isle @ walmart .97 cents, organic peanut butter ect and do the hands off method. don't handle them or play with them, give them time to distress and chill. I think it's a month. If they go under ground in a week or two they could be ready to molt or just actually distressing more and coming out at night. One way to tell is if you use sand is to smooth it out { lightly} before bed and if you see tracks in the a.m. then you can tell they have been up, e.e. is harder, but I can tell now.